[Ubuntu-US-CA] Starting Out w/ Linux

seidos kdemarest at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 00:19:35 UTC 2011

Hey Mark:

Qcad and DraftSight are 2d.  I already showed my brother 2d open source CAD
solutions.  He wasn't impressed enough to take them seriously.

I would think the loftier ideals of "the source belonging to the people" to
be the kind of thing that might convince some individuals to feel the effort
in learning something new would be worth their time.  But this is pure
speculation.

Perhaps the community can shine some light on individuals they managed to
switch over.  I got my cousin to use Linux for his server stuff (I believe
he uses Open Suse), but he was already a computer enthusiast.  I know some
in the ULUG managed to switch over family members that weren't computer
enthusiasts, but i don't know the specifics of the scenarios, and why they
were able to get the user switch to stick, or even how happy the users are
with the switch.

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Mark Garrow <scunizi at cox.net> wrote:

> Seidos... I was just doing some cad for a friends dash on his RV9
> airplane.. Other than QCad I found DraftSight which has a community
> edition and a pro paid version that adds just a couple of things.
>
> On the other points.. the FOSS philosophy might work more now that most
> everyone are looking to save a buck here and there.  On the saving $'s
> front, many have machines that are older, slow, riddled with (you name
> it) and don't have the money to buy a new machine and/or can't find the
> reinstall disks or the money to pay anyone to do it for them.  That is
> an opportunity for FOSS and Ubuntu.  Although, admittedly difficult to
> find these people individually, when you do they're often open to the
> idea with some hesitation.
>
> It's tough to overcome a windows/mac user that has a specific program
> that they just have to have.
>
> Best,
> Mark Garrow
> Scunizi / Izinucs