[Ubuntu-US-CA] Starting Out With Linux

seidos kdemarest at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 19:19:52 UTC 2011

Hey Grant:

I read your write up.

*puts on asbestos long johns*  I am convinced that the philosophy behind
FOSS is really what needs to be spread, but I'm not sure the best way to do
that (probably by selling systems bundled with a GNU/Linux <just a partial
joke!>).  I am aware of the caveats of pushing a philosophy, but without
being able to develop AutoCAD Linux for my brother, or "envelope printing"
in open office that works just like in m$ office, i am hard pressed to
convince people i know to switch from windows.

In my experience, people don't really care about the inner workings of their
computers, or the philosophy driving the innovation, they just want the
thing to do what they need it to (which, to narrow this down, i believe to a
"typical user", means "on par functionally with windows", based on their use
case scenario, since windows is what most people know).

This lack of "on par functionality" is the main reason why, regrettably,
most of the people I know don't use Ubuntu or some other Linux Distro.

Not trying to be a downer, this is just my experience with it.

But, there's hope!  Perhaps the best way to really convince people to switch
is by showing how good natured and kind Ubuntu users are.  Friendship is a
highly valued asset, but this tactic probably wouldn't work with people who
already have a bunch of windows friends :|.

The other option I've considered, after seeing cute Meerkat Stickers at
SCaLE?  Market to kids.

with metta,

seidos
http://accesstoinsight.org