[Ubuntu-US-CA] LWN's take on Harmony

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 9 15:29:46 UTC 2011

The following is for reference regarding Harmony, a Canonical led
project relating to contributor agreements.

Grant

http://lwn.net/Articles/450543/
Project Harmony 1.0 and its discontents
[Announcements] Posted Jul 7, 2011 12:22 UTC (Thu) by corbet

The Harmony Project (an effort to create a standardized set of
contributor agreements last covered here[1] in April) has launched
version 1.0[2] of its agreements. There is a cute selection tool[3]
allowing projects to pick the agreement which best suits their wishes.
It's not clear how the agreements have changed since the first public
disclosure in April.

Harmony remains controversial; see these responses by Bradley Kuhn[4],
Richard Fontana[5], and Dave Neary[6]. Quoting Richard: "Despite my
admiration, respect and affection for those who have been driving
Harmony, I cannot endorse the product of their work. I believe Harmony
is unnecessary, confusing, and potentially hazardous to open source and
free software development."

 [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/437734/
 [2] http://harmonyagreements.org/agreements.html
 [3] http://selector.harmonyagreements.org/