[Ubuntu-US-CA] X.org Config File

Grant Bowman grantbow at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 17 23:47:50 UTC 2011

After talking with another team member I promised to write up how to
modify X.org settings by generating a configuration file from the
auto-detected base so that settings can be changed manually.  I have
used this at several partimus.org sites for getting old monitors to do
more than the ancient resolution default that comes up, much less than
1024x768.

>From http://x.org I click FAQ then Configuration Help and find:
http://www.x.org/wiki/ConfigurationHelp

In practice I use a virtual console (ctrl-alt-F2), login as a user
then to get root run: sudo su -

Then run: /etc/init.d/gdm stop

Then run: X --configure

Then run: cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I look forward to a fruitful discussion with those I have talked to
recently and others about customizations.

Cheers,

Grant