[Ubuntu-US-CA] Happy International Buy Nothing Day

nuboon2age nuboon2age at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 03:21:04 UTC 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104195596316003

"Buy Nothing Day is your special day to unshop, unspend and unwind. Relax
and do nothing for the economy and for yourself - at least for a single
day."

http://www.buynothingday.org/

"A few people start breaking their old patterns, embracing what they love
(and in the process discovering what they hate), daydreaming, questioning,
rebelling. What happens naturally then, according to the revolutionary past,
is a groundswell of support for this new way of being, with more and more
people empowered to perform new gestures unencumbered by history.

Think of it as an adventure, as therapy – a week of pieing and pranks, of
talking back at your profs and speaking truth to power. Some of us will put
up posters in our schools and neighborhoods and just break our daily
routines for a week. Others will chant, spark mayhem in big box stores and
provoke mass cognitive dissonance. Others still will engage in the most
visceral kind of civil disobedience. And on November 26 from sunrise to
sunset we will abstain en masse – not only from holiday shopping, but from
all the temptations of our five-planet lifestyles."

http://www.adbusters.org/campaigns/bnd