[Ubuntu-US-CA] Ubuntu Tri-Fold Source Files

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 28 20:44:56 UTC 2010

I was going to point out everything that Mark did  (except I didn't
catch "networs", good job).  To be honest, I can't tell what's changed
from before.

I know the hardest part of doing something like this is figuring out
what should be there and getting it written and able to fit.  So I think
the hard work that has been done is commendable and I really like the
result.  So the very detailed criticisms below should be seen as simple
copyediting that is required to really make the product shine and to
keep fickle end-users from disregarding the message and information
because it doesn't look "professional".

I know we don't have the new Ubuntu font yet (I've been told we should
expect it around the end of the month) but I think the new logo and
colors should be used.  I'm not sure why all the screen shots use the
old DarkRoom theme instead of 9.10's default Human theme, but I would
have expected that they be updated to use Ambiance for 10.04 LTS.

"Brocure" is misspelled in the filename.  Is this intentional?  It looks
unprofessional.

"Simple CCSM" finds the right software in Ubuntu Software Center but in
10.04 LTS it is listed as "Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager"

"Flashplayer" refers to "Adobe Flash" or "Adobe Flash Player" and should
not be combined into one word.

The URLs on the 'back' panel should either include the URI protocol
(http://) or not--it shouldn't be random.

The title fonts should either be serif or sans-serif, the "How to get
Flash, YouTube, Hulu" title is the wrong typeface, size, and style.

Section titles switch from "How to" introductions to first-person questions.

Reference to searching for "install.exe" files for software is odd,
since Windows software uses "setup.exe"

Brochure says not to search for and download software on the "Internet"
(meaning the World Wide Web), but then recommends "World of Goo", for
which users will have to search for, purchase, and download from 2D
Boy's website.

Under no circumstances should snes9x be a game recommendation.  It's not
useful 'out of the box' and encourages piracy.  It's a Super Nintendo
emulator that comes with no games and is useless without legally dumping
your personal SNES cartridges with a ROM dumper to your computer (but
which is against the license provided with the games) or illegally
downloading commercial games from shady websites.  (We can pretend they
might find legal homebrew projects but I doubt this is likely without
further guidance.)

Gwibber description doesn't align when it wraps.

--
Nathan Haines
Ubuntu California Local Community Team