[Ubuntu-US-CA] Ubuntu Server at nblug.org Tomorrow at O'Reilly

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 19:34:32 UTC 2010

FYI,

Grant

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Kyle Rankin" <kyle at nblug.org>
Date: Aug 9, 2010 9:28 AM
Subject: [NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting TOMORROW: Costalab
To: <announce at nblug.org>

Start: 2010/08/10 - 7:30pm
End: 2010/08/10 - 9:00pm
Location: O'Reilly Media
Speaker: Glen Worstell

   The U.C.S.C Long Marine lab includes the 'costalab', where I work
   taking care of 4 servers, mostly Ubuntu, and a few windows desktops.

   The costalab studies marine mammals and birds all over the world.
   Google on 'costalab' to find out more about what we do.

   About half of the talk will be specific to the costalab work - what
   information the researchers collect, how it is stored and analyzed, the
   benefits to the world from this research, etc. This should be of
   interest to a much wider audience than linux gurus.

   The rest of the talk will be about our Ubuntu servers, how they are
   configured, how they are used, and particular tools that get heavy use
   (including Python, rsync, NX, rsnapshot,geany, Ksplice, and Postgres).
   A Q&A session will follow.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President