[Ubuntu-US-CA] CD Sleeves

Robert Wall robertwall at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 26 23:06:32 UTC 2010

n Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Grant Bowman <grantbow at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the WTFPL really the most appropriate?

In my opinion, yes. It accurately conveys the restrictions I wanted to
put on CD sleeve licensing (read: none), while avoiding overly
legalistic language. It's on the list of FSF free licenses (
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses )
and is used by packages shipped in various distributions (including
(according to the website; I have not verified this) Debian and thus
likely Ubuntu). Therefore, I believe it is appropriate from the
standpoints of my personal preference and legal soundness.

The complaint I assume you might have about it is the F part of WTFPL.
We considered creating a new license with a different name, but
ultimately decided that license proliferation is a larger evil (and
more confusing, and more work) than what it would prevent.

> Is the scale8x version what you currently recommend?

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the sleeves for. If you're
going to use them all before Maverick comes out, they'd work fine.
Otherwise, you likely want to make a version with 10.10 (and higher,
if you're going to be keeping them that long) on it.

> Would anyone like to help get something ready from these sources that has the new branding and colors?

I believe we've been waiting on the design/art/whoever it is team
releasing 1) the font they use, 2) SVG logos using said font, 3) color
swatches, before working on any new branding stuff. Without them, it
might be difficult to do, but feel free to have a go at it :). Though,
you likely want to leave the background white, rather than going with
the seemingly ubiquitous purple background, for ink usage reasons.

By the way, if anyone has any questions about how to get this stuff
from bzr, or how to upload changes (which you should all be able to
do, assuming you're in the Ubuntu California Launchpad team, and if
you're not drop me a line and I can do it for you), I'd be happy to
help.

~ Robert