[Ubuntu-US-CA] UBUNTU 8.04 Visual Effects not working

David Fox dfox94085 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 00:11:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 4:30 PM, jennifer ruth <jrcurry at live.com> wrote:

> I cannot enable visual effects.
> This proiblem is only on my user, not the other user desktop
> I have downloaded CCSM.

Jennifer:

You might give us a bit more feedback as to the properties of your
computer, especially your video card. Compiz needs a fairly modern
machine with a video card that has sufficient memory to make it work,
and even more than that to make it work well.

> $ glxinfo | grep rendering

What do you get for output? Here:

dfox at newbox:/storage/isos$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

(Intel video, specifically G43 chipset, Jaunty).

If it says No, then compiz won't work. Or it will work so slowly that
it is unusable.

I am not sure why there would be a difference between one user and the
other. Are you saying that the other user on the system has no issues
running compiz?)

I have a "compiz" folder in my home directory, but all the files are
dated from June 2008. Don't think that those settings are used
anymore, though. I was thinking that maybe settings files from the
other user could be copied over.

If you have the space (and time) you might consider joining the
ubuntu-users mailing list. It's kind of a high volume list, though.
That might be a better place to pose your question. (Personally, I
don't like the forums; I prefer mailing lists).  URL is
lists.ubuntu.com, all the lists and subscription instructions are
there.

> lspci | grep -i vga
>
> $ rm -rf .compiz
>
> compiz --replace
>

> If you want to see the output I got from these commands, ask me.
>

> Jennifer Curry
>

> EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
> Join me

thanks for letting me change the magnetic patterns on your hard disk.