[Ubuntu-US-CA] the shirts

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 17:51:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-15 at 10:15 -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
>

> > Good. We all should, and hopefully do. However, you don't seem to be
> > bothered by making a statement implying dividing shirts into those
> > with "ponies" (subtext: a "girl" motif) and those that don't.
>
> I don't think calling out what was a disappointingly sexist remark
> (although probably in an attempt to be politically correct, to give the
> benefit of the doubt) is sexist.

Good. I'm glad you don't mind that I called you out for making one, despite
being way off base about why I did it. Hint: It wasn't to be politically
correct, and let me suggest that assuming someone says something just to be
"PC" is always a weak argument. The "ponies" statement was sexist. I
appreciate the fact that you recognize this.

> > Incidentally, I'm just wondering: In light of this and Mark
> > Shuttleworth's arguable gaffes at LinuxCon, is it community policy to
> > dig yourself in deeper after you say something ridiculous, or is the
> > phrase, "Gee, I'm sorry. I seem to have misspoken" forbidden from the
> > community's lexicon?
>
> I did not misspeak when I said that the premise that a simple shirt with
> a logo on both sides needed to be planned specially with women in mind
> because they had some sort of alien fashion sensibility was completely
> non sequitur with the idea that they are people too, which was spoken in
> the same breath by the person who suggested it.

That would be nice, Nathan, except you seem to be falling into your typical
cherry-picking of statements irrelevant to the main argument that, in
several cases over the past several months, has bogged down the list.

Suffice to say, the logo was not the issue when the original poster made his
comment about separate shirts for men and women -- that was my
understanding, although the original poster is free to jump in here and
correct me. Also, with a limited knowledge of fashion, my understanding is
that the differences in men's and women's t-shirts revolve around the cut of
the collar, for example (v-neck as opposed to crew neck), or a tapering in
the waist -- though anyone with more fashion knowledge than me is free to
jump in here as well.