[Ubuntu-US-CA] LoCo Contact Forwards

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 1 18:03:26 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, Grant doesn't tailor these announcements and he gives no
> thought to timing or how these announcements might draw focus away from
> current activities.

I guess my main problem with this is who decides where the focus is?
I'll stick with the translations example for now, is the really up to
the team leaders to determine whether people should be informed about
a translations push that Jono is doing to all LoCo teams? Maybe it
feels like to you that it's taking away from, for example, planning
the upcoming Jams or release parties, but to someone else who hasn't
been very involved but wants to get into translations it might be a
great entry point for them to start getting involved, especially if
they can't make it out to a jam or release party. Furthermore, if
we're planning Jams and release parties, does this mean we should
refrain from other discussion on-list because it "draws focus away"?

> Instead, he forwards them along with an FYI, and he
> does so indiscriminately.  I feel this creates an unfriendly mood to the
> mailing list.

There is nothing stopping anyone within the team from replying to the
-contacts forward with a specifically crafted message that engages the
team more, but frequently people don't have the time or expertise to
do this in a timely manner. Based on my experience with other teams, I
think it's more important for the message to get out *at all* rather
than worrying that it's not specifically targeted directly at the
team. A lot of teams do this and it works fine for them, I can provide
examples if you'd like.

> We are not rejecting any emails other than forwards from -contacts, as
> the approval of his bringing a private email to the list clearly
> indicates.

I think I'm just troubled by the precedent this sets for the team.
Today we're not allowed to forward -contacts emails (which are emails
specifically crafted for sharing, and sent out by the Community
Manager), what next? How are we supposed to know what is acceptable if
even these official emails from the Community Manager emails aren't?

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com