[Ubuntu-US-CA] An Introduction

Landon Blake lblake at ksninc.com
Mon Nov 9 17:09:50 UTC 2009

I just subscribed to the Ubuntu California mailing list and I want to
make a short introduction.

I've been using Linux for about 5 years. I started out with Debian and
made the switch to Ubuntu about two years ago. I consider myself a Linux
rookie, although I'm fairly handy with computers. I have some experience
with hobby programming. I'm best with Java, but I can tinker in Ruby,
Python, C#, Visual Basic .NET, and a variety of LISP for CAD programs
called AutoLISP. I'm a fairly ignorant and dangerous C programmer. :]

I can think of two possible ways I might be able to help out/learn with
Ubuntu California. There are several FOSS projects that I work on that
could use Debian packages. I'd never put a Debian package together, but
I've read through the docs and wouldn't mind trying again if I had
someone that would "mentor" my effort. Most of the packages I'd create
would be for mapping/GIS/geometry software projects, and most of those
would be in Java.

I'd also like to learn more about compiling software drivers from C
source code for Linux. As I mentioned, I know just enough C to be
dangerous. I do use Ant, which I hear shares some similarities with GNU
Make. At any rate, compiling drivers may be over my head, but I know
finding drivers for hardware has been one of my greatest challenges with
Linux, so I'd like to help in this area if I can. If there is someone on
the list working on drivers for Ubuntu that would like some help, please
let me know.

I hope I will have the chance to help other Linux newbies with their
Ubuntu questions. I'm located in Stockton, California and I also hang
out on the CVale LUG mailing list.

Landon Blake

Project Surveyor

California PLS 8489