[Ubuntu-US-CA] Facebook short URL username

Robert Wall robertlikesturtles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 07:05:15 UTC 2009

Hi everyone!

At the end of tonight's meeting (which is logged at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09November01, for
those who missed it), I was asked to summarize the discussion around
the Facebook URL topic and post it to the mailing list, so here it is!

For a couple of months now, we've had a page on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ubuntu-California-Local-Community-Team/134414293173
. This is (experimentally) a replacement for our older Facebook group.
It currently has 36 fans, which I guess makes it reasonably popular.
As you can see, the URL to get to that page is rather unwieldy and not
the sort of thing you'd be able to say to someone easily. Therefore,
Facebook recently came out with a feature that lets Page
administrators make a "username" for their pages instead. For example,
my fictional reptile store's page could have the username
"RobertsTurtleEmporium" and thus the URL
http://facebook.com/RobertsTurtleEmporium. The page still looks the
same, and the page title is still the same (ours is "Ubuntu California
Local Community Team"), and as far as I can tell it doesn't affect
searchability, so the "username" is really only the short URL above,
and doesn't affect the actual page content.

As is our wont, a lively discussion arose about what that URL should
be. The current candidates are, I believe:

 * ubuntucalifornia
 * ubuntu.us.ca
 * californiateam.ubuntu
 * californiaubuntuteam

At our next meeting on November 15th, we're going to decide which one
to go with, and alternate suggestions would be great. When pondering
the above candidates and others, bear in mind Facebook's guidelines on
this, which you can read by going to
http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=900 and then clicking "What are
the guidelines around creating a username for Facebook Pages?". The
other sections of that page might answer any other questions you might
have about this; if not, reply and we'll figure it out. Things to bear
in mind:

* Facebook usernames can only contain A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and periods (.)
* Page usernames are supposed to "as close as possible to your public
figure or business name". So "epicUbuntuFolks" is probably not a great
candidate.

Happy usernaming, and I hope to see everyone in two weeks for some
happy fun deciding times!

~ Robert

--
Robert Wall <robertlikesturtles at gmail.com>