[Ubuntu-US-CA] OSCON

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Thu May 7 00:14:54 UTC 2009

Thanks for pulling this together, Joe.  50 words to describe all of
Ubuntu isn't much room!  What to include and exclude is inherently
subjective given the small space.  By the way, can everyone who will
be in San Jose during the conference please add your name to the wiki
page, whether you will be able to help man the booth or not?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/OSCON2009

In reading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(philosophy) and
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu (nice video, both are
interesting descriptions) I suspect using "African" instead of "Zulu"
would be more appropriate.  Also if there is a shortage of space it
might be safe to leave this out given the typical level of Open Source
education of Oscon attendees.

In my experience up-to-date & stable are often mutually exclusive.  I
would guess an Oscon audience will be quite aware of this, especially
the server folks.  Maybe sticking to the Ubuntu promise from the home
page would be best: availability of Ubuntu free of charge, commercial
support, translations, accessibility features and Open Source
software.

Given the size and visibility of Oscon within the Open Source
community this leads me to feel that seeking some kind of nod from or
at least notification to the ubuntu-marketing list before our
unapproved loco represents Ubuntu broadly at this event would be a
good idea.  It would be nice to know as much as we can about Canonical
presences.  Perhaps they have not documented or avoided this show in
the past for reasons we don't know.  Talking with them seems in
keeping with the Code of Conduct's [1] "When you are unsure, ask for
help" clause and the Ubuntu concept in general, don't you thin?

So I will work on something for ubuntu-marketing (cc to this list of
course) and if you like, take another shot at the 50 word description.

Talk to you soon,

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow at gmail.com>

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct