[Ubuntu-US-CA] OSCON

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:54:28 UTC 2009

Thanks for starting this and keeping things moving forward, Joe.
Great comments so far.  Unfortunately I don't currently see
Canonical's or Ubuntu's name anywhere on the Oscon website.  It would
help to know what Canonical's plans will be for the conference.  It
seems they haven't planned for it in the past either as it's not
listed here:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ConferenceAppearances

Jono's [1] Community Leadership Summit 2009 just before Oscon in San
Jose also promises to be wonderful.  Larry Cafiero and I have already
signed up.  I hope others can join us.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Mark Garrow <scunizi at cox.net> wrote:
> ...[s]ince they mention using Adobe Illustrator files
> they might not have the option of using a .svg directly..

I would certainly hold out hope that *** O'Reilly *** might happen to
have a book lying around or a software package that might help them
convert from one vector graphic format to another, haha!  The effort
is appreciated.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Joe Smith <yasumoto7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please email me a 50-word company description [...] I also need the url you
> would like your logo to be linked to.

Not having seen Neal's or Nathan's take on how to describe the group I
offer these comments very carefully.  I know they are talking about
things with Joe all the time on IRC.

The other descriptions on the Oscon website [2] describe who they are.
 They are asking for a "company description."  I'm thinking about what
would be most appropriate for an Oscon attendee to read about our
"company."  So Robert's option #2 sounds closer to what I'm thinking
about.  I'm wondering where Oscon attendees should best land when they
click on us.  We aren't Canonical, however do we want LOTS of Oscon
attendees landing on our wiki page?  I don't think it's designed for
that purpose right now.

If we are listed on a .org page similar to [2] I would offer for
consensus building discussion the following:

[[http://www.ubuntu.com| {Calif Team Logo} Ubuntu California Team

We work together to advocate, promote, develop and improve Ubuntu by
conducting events (including conference booths and release parties),
by supporting LUGs and by connecting users with each other.  Our
volunteer group is one of 184 Local Community (LoCo) teams worldwide
which vary dramatically in their interests, activities and goals.

The materials I used to pull ideas and prose from include: emails from
Joe, Robert & Jesse https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamJoining
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamHowto https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoFAQ

--