[Ubuntu-US-CA] A Talking Point - Linus uses Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 29 16:35:38 UTC 2009

Hi all. Taking a moment to ramble ;)

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:06:30AM -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
>    Hey, Grant --
>
>    Just throwing in a couple of cents: Framing the talking point around
>    Linus' talking about ease of use -- where Ubuntu excels -- might be a
>    better than simply saying "Linus uses Ubuntu" because the point of
>    Caitlyn's blog, I think, is that ease of use is of primary importance to
>    Linus.

I haven't RTFA, but I'm curious as to what aspects of Ubuntu Linus finds
'easy'?  I definitely see two things 'easy' about Ubuntu.

One is the packaging system, which I fell in love with when I first
moved from RedHat 6.2 to Debian something-or-other.  The other is the
desktop environment, which in Ubuntu's case is GNOME (or KDE or Xfce)
combined with choices (and presumably also addition or changes) that Ubuntu
packagers make.

I find #1 is important to one's sanity when maintaining a system
(adding/updating software), and #2 is important for the day-to-day business
of using the system.  In any case, I feel that brokenness in _either_
department would be a deal breaker.[*]

-bill!
[*] Of my choices at the time I switched from RH6.2 to Debian, which lead
    to my current choice of Ubuntu:
    + Windows95 failed in both departments.
    + RedHat 6.2 failed in Dept. #1.
    + Mac OS (classic at the time) failed due to expensive hardware and
      vendor lock-in, but that's not really an "ease of use" issue. :)