[Ubuntu-US-CA] Possiblity of sharing space with Ubuntu-CA

Robert Wall robertlikesturtles at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 20:06:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 08:21 -0700, Jack Deslippe wrote:
> How big (in physical size) is the Ubuntu-CA booth?

According to the prospectus, 10' x 10' (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09April05 )

> Is this the only Ubuntu table at OSCON?  Or is there something official
> from Canonical?  Or are you still trying to find that out?  If this
> doesn't represent "the" Ubuntu booth at OSCON, then we can/should
> probably be more flexible.

While Canonical employees are involved in some of the presentations, I
haven't seen anything about them having a booth. I don't think we ever
got a hold of anyone from Canonical to check on that, though.

> Finally, is there a page on the wiki for people to sign up for times?

There's a signup list at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/OSCON2009 (which you're
on already, probably because you said you'd be there at a meeting). It
hasn't been narrowed down to specific times yet, since the conference is
still a month or so away, and people are still figuring out their
schedules.

From https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09May17 :

07:29 < Grantbow> no word back from ubuntu-marketing at lists.ubuntu.com
yet about Canonical's presence, formally or informally.
07:30 < Flannel> Grantbow: the marketing team has no official say, they wouldn't be the ones to know.
07:30 < Flannel> Grantbow: The marketing team is also mostly defunct right now.
07:30 < Grantbow> Flannel: formally, right.
07:31 < Flannel> Well, -marketing started up a ... year ago, and then died a little afterwards (except for spreadubuntu), but, that's offtopic.

I was thus unaware that we were supposed to be getting a reply from the
marketing list.

> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Bill Kendrick<nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
> >> I heard that Ubuntu-CA will be having a booth there, and wondered if
> >> you'd be willing to share some space for the LUGs and some volunteers.
> >>
> >> Right now I've jotted down a dozen people, representing six bay area LUGs,
> >> who've shown interest in seeing this happen and/or helping make it happen.
> >> See the OSCON booth organizing page I've put up over at the LUGOD site:
> >> http://lugod.org/projects/oscon/ [3]
> >>
> >> Would this be possible?  Is Ubuntu-CA interested?

We have an IRC meeting this Sunday (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09June14 ), and I'll add
this to the agenda. Hopefully, we'll be able to hash out an answer to
that question there, if not sooner on the mailing list.

Personally, I think it's a good idea, and would be fine with promoting
bay area LUG stuff. There are, however, a few problems I can see:
1) Ubuntu LoCos and Linux User Groups have different purposes and
identities, and this has the possibility to confuse that.
2) I don't know exactly what we're planning to do, and thus don't know
if there'd be conflicts with space.

The first problem would probably be helped with gratuitous use of
nametags, so that booth visitors see that there are a few different
organizations represented. As for the second... that'd probably be
better hashed out at the meeting, since we were planning to discuss what
we're going to be doing anyway.

Re: http://lugod.org/projects/oscon/ , I note that Grant isn't "running"
the Ubuntu California table. Joe Smith has been liaising with O'Reilly
and doing the organizing, and as for the rest of us... "I thought we
were an autonomous collective." A minor oversight, but I decided to
point it out so nobody wonders why there are a bunch of people putting
their oar in!

Glad to see something sparked OSCON discussion, since I tried and failed
to do so!

~ Robert

--
Robert Wall <robertlikesturtles at gmail.com>