[Ubuntu-US-CA] CLS meeting summary; post-keysigning instructions

Robert Wall robertlikesturtles at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 04:15:56 UTC 2009

Hi everyone!

We had an informal pre-OSCON meeting and keysigning event after the
Community Leadership summit today. There's a short summary from that
meeting online [1] for people who didn't attend.

I also wanted to explain (as a part 2 to my previous email) about what
to do once you get back from a keysigning event. The commands below are
taken from V. Alex Brennen's excellent "The Keysigning Party HOWTO" [2],
which I'd highly recommend to anyone who wants to organize their own
keysigning party, with the caveats that 1) the instructions for
generating a key are currently wrong (see my previous email for
details), 2) the Political Activism section isn't keysigning-related =/.

First, get the keys in question from the keyserver. Since we're an
Ubuntu group, we may as well use the Ubuntu keyserver, so the command
looks like this:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys <Key_ID>

where <Key_ID> is the 8-character code you got at the keysigning party.
If you just have the long fingerprint code, it's the last 8 characters
of that. If you have multiple keys to get, just list them all, separated
by a space.

( I note that Neal didn't upload his key to the keyserver yet, so the
meeting people will likely get an error saying his couldn't be found
until he does that. )

Next, if you have the 40-character fingerprint, you can check it with:

gpg --fingerprint <Key_ID>

Next, sign each key:

gpg --sign-key <Key_ID>

Finally, send the now-signed keys back to the keyserver:

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --send-key <Key_ID>

It's also nice to let the other person know that you signed their key
(partly so that they get a reminder to do yours ;). Meeting people: all
of yours are done (except Neal's).

Again, if you have any questions about this, feel free to ask!

~ Robert

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09July19
[2]
http://cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/keysigning_party/en/keysigning_party.html