[Ubuntu-US-CA] Talking Point: Ubuntu One

Robert Wall robertlikesturtles at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 22:44:39 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 18:50 -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> What is the best way to describe https://ubuntuone.com/ to attendees?
>
> The wikipedia page [1] has a pretty good summary "Ubuntu One is a
> storage application and service operated by Canonical Ltd and
> currently in private beta."  It currently requires an Ubuntu 9.04
> Jaunty (or 9.10 Karmic) machine for now but I don't know of any
> announced or rumored plans to expand that.
>
> Grant Bowman
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_One also links to some of the
> controversy over the naming.

Another thing that may be important (and which may be of interest to
OSCON people, if we're going to get Ubuntu One questions): in Karmic,
ubuntu-desktop now recommends ubuntuone-client-gnome [1], which means
that new installs of Ubuntu Karmic will have the client by default (and,
if I remember correctly, many users will get it when upgrading Jaunty to
Karmic).

[1] This was effected about eight hours ago. the relevant diff for
ubuntu-meta (the source package for ubuntu-desktop) is
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/29048341/ubuntu-meta_1.152_1.153.diff.gz

--
Robert Wall <robertlikesturtles at gmail.com>
OpenPGP key: 0x0CBC1491 | see http://rww.name/rsaswitch.txt