[Ubuntu-US-CA] Ubuntu Open Week - Presenting Ubuntu at Conferences

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 00:31:07 UTC 2009

Below is a snippet from the opening session [1] of Ubuntu Open Week
held earlier today.  More details can be found on the wiki page. [2]

--
-- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow at gmail.com>

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/openweekJaunty/Intro
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek

jono: so, here we are again, and this is our sixth Ubuntu Open Week
jono: for the last six cycles Open Week has provided an incredible
opportunity for us to reach out to new contributors
jono: and to provide an opportunity to welcome these contributors into
our rather awesome community
jono: the idea behind the very first Ubuntu Open Week was pretty simple
jono: Ubuntu has a community depends on a wide variety of contributors
jono: we have literally hundreds of teams, a world covered in LoCo
teams, many translated languages and a variety of methods of getting
involved in a diverse range of skills
jono: the problem with diversity is that it can be devilishly
difficult to know how to get started
jono: Ubuntu Open Week is intended to provide a simple on-ramp for new
and curious contributors to dip their feet into the Ubuntu community
jono: to do this Ubuntu Open Week provides a wealth of IRC tuition
sessions designed to cover this diverse range of contributions that
new contributors can indulge in