[Ubuntu-US-CA] Netbook Remix

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Mon Oct 20 06:19:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:19:00 -0700, Troy Ready wrote:

> I haven't yet tried it on my beloved eee. With it's current 1 gig of
> ram, I've been very happy with the performance of XFCE. I'll be
> interested to see GNOME's performance on it when I put in 2 gigs.
>
> That said, I haven't looked at NR in a couple months. I'll check out
> Grant's links when I get home and perhaps give it a shot.
>
> -Troy

At the end of Ubucon, there was barely enough time for the Netbook Remix
to be explained, let alone demonstrated. Fortunately, I had already been
to the Canonical boot on the show floor for a demonstration, and I must
say it was the best product displayed at LinuxWorld Expo. However, there
is no installer offered to create such a system right away -- or is
there? A week ago, I took a look at somebody's Eee model 701 running the
original Xandros, and by the time I finally figured out how to get a
shell on it (or do anything else), I had already prepared this for
installation:
http://www.ubuntu-eee.com/?module=moreinfo
It's a community distribution using the Ubuntu OEM installation program,
customized for the Eee models, including a replacement of the standard
desktop with the Netbook Remix. One unfortunate customization that I
cannot understand is the removal of Ekiga in favor of stupid Skype. I'm
more neutral on some of the hardware-specific customizations, like the
hacks needed to get the Eee's wi-fi to work:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/182489
The wi-fi still fails upon hibernation, necessitating a reboot. One can
also cancel the hardware-specific customizations:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne#Install%20NetBook%20Remix%20+%20Ubuntu%20Intrepid%20Ibex%208.10(Latest)%20on%20the%20Acer%20Aspire%20One

Two months ago, the long-time organizer of the Silicon Valley BSD User
Group had a problem where the NTFS Win2k installation on one of his
ancient tablet PCs fscked itself (literally). Since it had no CD drive
and no floppy drive, he didn't have any way to reinstall Win2k, so he
thought to give GNU/Linux a try on it. My immediate thought was the
Netbook Remix, but when I saw that it was only an add-on to the standard
desktop, I hesitated to put it on a 500MHz Celeron with 128MB of RAM.
Luckily, when I saw the Netbook Remix at the Canonical booth, this was
also mentioned:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mobile/releases/hardy/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Cases/UMEdesktop
Unfortunately, it was intended for devices with 1GB of RAM, and had never
even been tested with anything less than 512MB. After some thought, I
decided it was the least unsuitable distro for the machine. Here is the
result: (The "other desktop" refers to Hildon.)