[Ubuntu-US-CA] Use of Social Networking

Neal Bussett neal at bussett.com
Sun Nov 30 10:42:04 UTC 2008

The LoCo facebook group as it has been explained to me so far (in
Grant's email) appears more of a community in itself and not just
something that directs people towards our LoCo.  For something like this
to be successful, it needs to be a concerted effort by a significant
group of people and unfortunately with our current numbers the
significant quickly approaches all of our active members.  This is why
we need to have some sort of consensus when branching out to new media.

>From what I gathered at the meeting, we're looking into new media in
order to draw in new people to our LoCo.  I'm not sure this should be
our top priority at the moment.  We have a healthy and relatively steady
influx of new people to the mailing lists and launchpad already; however
a good percentage of them simply don't stick around.  We may instead
want to first take a look at how we can maintain interest and activity
in the people who wander in from the methods already in place, and
afterward look into expanding our visibility.

I'd like to hear a bit more about facebook and other social networking
sites (with respect to LoCo usage, obviously), and I'm sure many others
would as well.  What sort of use-cases are we talking about?  What
benefits would they provide?  Could we accomplish the same in some other
way?

Neal Bussett
Ubuntu California