[Ubuntu-US-CA] Use of Social Networking

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 25 18:40:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-25 at 09:43 -0800, Charles Wyble wrote:
> If someone wants to setup a resource they are free to do so. They don't
> need approval/consensus. It's called getting things done.
> I'm glad there is a facebook group. I joined it straight away.

That's ludicrous, of course.  If someone wants to set up Ubuntu
enthusiast resources, they're free and welcome to do so.  An Ubuntu
Local Community Team is a a focused advocacy group and there is a chain
of responsibility leading up to the Ubuntu Community Council.  It is
important that what is done in the name of a LoCo is actually sanctioned
by the LoCo.

> I think it's just fine. I don't think any further approval is needed.
> When did this become a
> bureaucracy?

Since its inception.  Setting up resources in the name of the LoCo
without permission is a very slippery slope.  There is no way for others
to know if a new resource is officially sanctioned or not.  You
mentioned disregard for the wiki page but it is a requirement for the
LoCo.  We discussed concerns that the LoCo does not have the resources
to maintain a presence in so many media and is already stretched thin.
You are welcome to review the conversation and then participate.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/08November16

We don't have any desire to impede progress.  We didn't make Grant
delete the Twitter account, instead we talked about how we can make it
work as a service to California enthusiasts interested in the LoCo and
we're still working on that.

But the LoCo still needs to be involved in these kinds of decisions.  If
someone just wants to set up an Ubuntu User's Group, they don't have to
check with us.  (We'd be happy to hear from them and lend support,
though.)

--
Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu California Local Community Team