[Ubuntu-US-CA] Meeting tonight?

Nathan Haines nhaines at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 16 00:45:07 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 17:30 -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> On 6/15/08, Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> >  It is extremely important that issues like this get put on our meeting
> >  agenda.  Three and a half hours before meeting time isn't sufficient
> >  notice.
>
> I would agree with that statement.
>
> Nathan, don't take this the wrong way, but let me be frank with you:
> This is not an project that I'm springing on you "three and a half
> hours before meeting." The Lindependence 2008 project has been out
> there for several months -- it has been discussed by me in forums and
> on IRC on several occasions, as well as by others like Ken Starks. It
> has even drawn the attention of those in other LoCos. It has been
> touched on by several on-line publications and Ken and I have been on
> the radio about it several times.

Agreed, and I want to make perfectly clear what I mean here: while I do
remember hearing briefly about the project, I haven't heard anything
since your initial forum post.  I certainly haven't read about it in
other online publications nor on the radio.  My only real way to know
about this other than Planet Ubuntu and the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is
the mailing list or the wiki.  I'm thrilled that you've en able to get
news out to others successfully.  I am extremely interested in the
project and would like to be aware as to how it is proceeding.  Is there
a centralized resource for this?  Mailing list or Web site or anything
that I can follow?  I'd be more than happy to post about this on Planet
Ubuntu.

> I've even gone beyond the LoCo and approached Canonical as well,
> without response.

Anecdotally, Canonical seems pretty infamous for this.  As for "Ubuntu"
jumping at the alternative, Ubuntu is just community, like you or me.  I
know there are users in the SF/SJ area as well, but we don't have any
active members from there in our LoCo.  Requests for volunteers for
LugRadio Live, for example, went unanswered and in the end it was only
me who made the trip up from Orange County.  Without my knowledge,
Canonical didn't do more than provide CDs for the attendee gift bags.

Larry, any frustration I might have is directed solely toward the gaps
in communication in the LoCo infrastructure, and explicitly not at you.

Regards,
Nathan

--
Nathan Haines <nhaines at ubuntu.com>