[Ubuntu-US-CA] Meeting Tomorrow, July 27

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 21:35:25 UTC 2008

I can't make the meeting tonight -- I'm at work and being held
prisoner behind a firewall (Amnesty International -- help!) -- but I
wanted to touch base about Lindependence. I don't know who's going to
give the report tonight -- Daniel Gimpelevich was there and pitched in
as the Ubuntu point-guy on Tuesday (7/15) and Saturday (7/26) -- but I
wanted to supplement whatever report was given tonight.

On Tuesday 7/15, we had about 30 folks come in during the course of
the evening, some of whom brought hardware to have Linux installed on
them. To my knowledge, all installs on Tuesday (which were only a few)
were Ubuntu. Many others went home with LiveCDs and my card in case
questions arose.

On Saturday 7/26, we had about 50-60 people come in during the course
of four hours. While people brought their machines on Sunday (7/13)
and Tuesday (7/15), Saturday's event was more of a "shopping" crowd --
people were more curious and no one, that I saw, brought hardware for
installation. However, there's a silver lining to this because we gave
out a lot of LiveCDs and got to talk up the distros, and I pretty much
handed out the balance of the Ubuntu 8.04.1 disks that Grant Bowman (I
think) left with us after 7/13.

On the whole in Felton, I believe Ubuntu made great strides in the
area, since I think it was the distro that most people converted to,
number wise. As for numbers, I don't have exact numbers, but it was in
the area of 15-20 conversions, most (if not all) to Ubuntu. In
addition, at least twice that many LiveCDs went out -- some of which
were provided by Grant, and some provided by the Cabrillo College
GNU/Linux Users Group and their software library (which needs to be
replenished).

There is another Lindependence event being planned for Boulder Creek,
California, about 6 miles north of Felton in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
This event(s) may be as early as the end of August, but September is
more like it.

If anyone has any questions or wants more information, feel free to
e-mail me off list, or ask here and I can answer them.

Sorry, again, that I can't be at the meeting this evening.

Larry Cafiero