[Ubuntu-US-CA] Common LUG booth at LinuxWorld

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 20:48:59 UTC 2008

Hi Troy,

You and I are thinking along the same lines.  I don't know if you have
considered these things but I'll throw them out for discussion.  Let
me start by saying I would much prefer to have a fully staffed booth
answering all kinds of user questions with CA LoCo logoed banners and
unlimited CDs to give out, both at the booth and in front of Moscone
Center to all attendees that walk in the door plus some kind of cute
handout freebie.  Of course we don't have those kinds of resources.

Given the popularity of the distro and the size of the event I vote
for a bit of caution.  There are very very few CA LoCo members that
live near San Francisco.  Staffing requirements over three full days
plus setup and take down isn't insignificant.  My opinion is that
having an empty booth during the show would not be beneficial to us or
Ubuntu.  What are we going to put in the bare booth?  I know how much
time and effort it takes to make a strong showing at an event like
this.

As we wait to hear through Joe Smith (Yasumoto) and Jono Bacon to see
if space is available for our own booth in the .Org area, even if it's
at no cost, we should take a moment before accepting it.  I am looking
at the overall cost/benefit.  If we do our own booth it means we can't
do other things.  We have to be realistic about what resources we have
before committing them.  I think we need to know one main thing.  How
many CA LoCo members can confirm they are ready/willing/able to
prepare for and participate during the whole event in San Francisco?

I don't see that we would be losing out if we choose to not have our
own booth, especially if we leverage our efforts elsewhere.  There
will be a strong official Ubuntu presence, we wouldn't be letting
anyone down.  LoCos like us are not even intended to replace existing
LUGS, but instead to complement them. [1]  Maybe we can do our own
effort well AND complement other groups well.  However I think we will
have to make choices between the two.

I would hate to get so busy as to ignore the existing efforts that are
well staffed (able to answer user questions) where we might be able to
make a significant and visible difference.  Perhaps other local LUGs
will have booths as well, I don't know yet.  Canonical should have a
booth and have scheduled an Ubucon.  I'm sure there are many talks
being given by Canonical employees.  Some speakers might appreciate
help during the presentations or running to get the cable they forgot,
lol.  Could Canonical use some help?  It's just my opinion, but it
would be good to know before accepting booth space.

--
-- Grant Bowman <grantbow at gmail.com>

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoWorkingWithOtherGroups