[Ubuntu-US-CA] Blank screen Kubuntu 8.04

Lester E. Flax carib909 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 16 09:05:08 UTC 2008

I have an ongoing problem installing and running kubuntu 8.04. I installed
the kubuntu desktop after installing. I sometimes boot to a black screen, or
if I boot into the recovery mode and fix xserver, sometimes I can run for
five minutes and then the  screen goes blank and then the mouse disappears.

I have an nVidia 8500 card and have tried numerous solutions given by
postings in the ubuntu forums, but none have worked.

I was trying to follow some instructions at
http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585454 , but that appears
to be for Gutsy and not Hardy.  Does it make any difference?

After doing step one I am lost. How do I get out of the edit window and back
to the command prompt?

Will this fix my problem?

I would appreciate any help you can offer.