[Ubuntu-US-CA] CSULB Installfest April 23

Glenn Zucman gzucman at csulb.edu
Thu Feb 28 05:05:42 UTC 2008

Hello!

I've ironed out a date for our University Theater - Wed April 23. We can
have it at 6pm. So if we still like the plan we can:
1. Screen Revolution OS from 6-7
2. Raise the screen after the film and use the whole stage area (big
open black space) for the installfest.

I will
1. Poke around for tables and chairs and power strips
2. Try to hunt down some Comp Sci faculty who might be interested and
can get their students to come

I think I will "bribe" my students with a few points of EC to come watch
the film... and then they can install after if they want to - but that
part is on their own.
Good News: more people will come see what's up
Bad News: don't be too depressed after the film if peeps just leave

I'm guessing this will be a small event... but it is a big theater (378
seats) and a huge campus (37,000 students) so it'd be nice if we could
make a little dent in the proprietary-cradle-to-grave model the the
University tacitly, if not officially, supports.

I probably shouldn't have even said "378 / 37,000" because to be
realistic, I imagine the place will be mostly empty. Still, I've now
taught over 1,300 students here, and only 2 of them used Linux... so we
should be able to beat that a bunch of times over in a single night.

I've put a listing on our home page about the event:
http://art110.wikispaces.com/#installfest

I also made an event page (minimal now, but can expand)
http://art110.wikispaces.com/installfest

The discussion tab of the this page is a great place to discuss any
logistics (or, obviously on the U-Ca forum)
Anyone who's a member of Wikispaces can post to discussions
Members of Wikispaces and of the Art110 wikispace can edit pages
(if anyone wants to join and post content, just LMK and I can approve
your request)

WHAT ELSE?

thank you!

-- Glenn