[Ubuntu-US-CA] Tux will liberate a town in California

Kenneth Starks helios at fixedbylinux.com
Fri Feb 22 14:48:45 UTC 2008

Hi Folks,

My name is Ken Starks and I am author of the blog of
helios.<http://www.blog.lobby4linux.com>
I am also the founder of HeliOS Solutions and Komputers4Kids.  We have been
working on a project with major implications for the Linux Community and GNU
Linux in general.  This is where I would like to make you aware of what we
are doing.

Larry Cafiero, an editor for the Santa Clara Sentinel has been on the ground
in Felton California, arranging for the population of that town to go
Microsoft-free for a week or a month, depending on how much support we can
get.  This is an effort that we want to keep to the main free distros.  Many
have suggested that we ask the corporate Linux companies to sponsor this but
with my initial dealings with two of them, the only way they would even
consider it is to be the exclusive distro for the project.

That isn't going to work.  This is about choice.

Christian Einfeldt of Digital Tipping Point is going to be filming the
project from start to finish and Zareason.com has been asked to provide us
the machines we need for the installfests preceding the actual event.  We
are making arrangements for mass media coverage of this event and if all
goes right, this will make computing history.  We are asking the California
Loco to be a part of this.

I came to you before I went to the larger Ubuntu user base for a few
reasons.  One out of plain courtesy, and two...we are going to need funding
for this effort.  We need to open an office in Felton fairly soon and get
things started there.  Larry Cafiero, the editor I spoke of will man the
office and he will be our official presence there until I can get there in
June.  He will also be in charge of the funds....again, I am handling the
media  matters.  All funding will be transparent and Larry will be taking
care of that.  We are hoping that your loco will provide a "Team Tux" for
the install fest and to put faces on the media coverage.  We are also hoping
that you can be the ones to go forward and let the community know where they
can contribute to this effort.  The paypal account will be in place by
Monday.

If any of you care to contact me personally, you may feel free to do so by
email.  I hope we can get this thing off the ground soon.  The "Official"
announcement comes this Monday.

Ken Starks
HeliOS Solutions