[Ubuntu-US-CA] Netbook Remix

Grant Bowman grantbow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 02:07:46 UTC 2008

I saw a Netbook Remix [1] demonstration at Ubucon a few days ago.  I
didn't mention it in the IRC meeting because I wanted to take some
time to gather together a few URLs and look into it a bit.  I hope you
find this summary useful.

During the last few minutes of the Ubucon I believe it was the project
leader, Neil Patel, that gave a live demonstration of the Ubuntu
Netbook Remix.  The project, in cooporation with Intel, targets
running Ubuntu on Netbook [2] computers running Intel Atom processors.
 Neil was using an Acer Aspire One [3] to give the presentation.  In
2007 Intel launched the Moblin project [4].  The Remix fleshes out
part of the broader Moblin project.

IN practive, the Ubuntu Remix consists of only a few packages that can
be added to any 8.04 desktop to accomodate smaller displays.  It is
based on the Gnome Hildon [5] application framework.  The screenshots
[6] help to visualize the result.

My understanding is that Nautilus and the top and bottom Gnome desktop
panels are being replaced with a full screen picker & favorites window
(Applications/Places/System, with added support for a user-defined
favorites category).  Another daemon keeps all applications
"maximized."  The cloud computing / ultra portable market niches are
good steps toward the coming array of even more screen limited MID
devices with a "finger friendly" user interface.  While the different
form factors will each have different considerations they are clearly
different ways of scaling down the current desktop metaphor while
maintaining usability.

Regards,

--
-- Grant Bowman <grantbow at gmail.com>

[1] https://launchpad.net/netbook-remix

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netbook - "Devices such as the Acer
Aspire One, Dell E, OLPC XO-1, One A110, HP 2133 Mini-Note PC, ASUS
Eee PC, CloudBook, Classmate PC, MSI Wind PC, Lenovo S9 and S10, or
VIA OpenBook may fall in the category of Netbooks. Moblin project
supports the device type."

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One

[4] http://www.moblin.org "mobile & Internet linux" targeting Mobile
Internet Devices (MID), In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) and Netbooks and
Nettops form factors.
     also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moblin_project