[Ubuntu-US-CA] No thanks

Neal Bussett neal at bussett.com
Fri Apr 11 18:09:19 UTC 2008

Ted Trujillo wrote:
> I chose to unsubscribe but the list appears like
> hotel California, you can never leave. At least from the options on the
> subscription page.

For unsubscribing:
Once you login to your account (on
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-ca, the last form
field is for your email and the button says "Unsubscribe or Edit
options"), If you look at the second section on the left side, there is
an Unsubscribe button, with a check box underneath for confirmation.

If that is somehow different on yours, or you're having any other
troubles, I can unsubscribe you, and I believe there's a way to do it by
simply emailing the list as well, I'll look into that.

 > Well after waking this morning to a political email from
> Ubuntu-US-ca-list, I am sick
> of politics and all it's trappings, sorry to see this list head down
> this road. goodbye.

The only alternative is to moderate each and every post, which besides
being a hassle for the admins, means that nothing happens without
someone's approval for each email, and that's slow and disruptive to
The email that was sent was sent by someone who is subscribed to this
list a while ago, and has shown no problems in the past.
The only reasonable way to curb bad behavior is reactively, which means
that sometimes things like this happen.

On a related note, remember that this list only allows unmoderated
emails from the address that is subscribed.
If you think you sent an email (and you are subscribed) and don't get it
back on the list (which is the default configuration for users--to get
your own emails back) within a reasonable time, double check to make
sure you sent it from the correct email account.  If you didn't, go
ahead and re-send it from the proper one, and I'll just delete the one
that's in the queue.
This is what generates the largest amount of moderation (apart from
actual spam) and it's the hardest as well, since I know some people like
keeping separate accounts for separate activities.

Ted, be sure to let me know if you'd like me to remove you.

Neal Bussett
Ubuntu California