[Ubuntu-US-CA] very new needs help.

Stan smpugh at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 29 19:38:42 UTC 2007

  HI Neal or team CA, I tried several times to download the unubtu and make
the cd but (windows?) refused to accept it on the hard drive? Or I just
couldn’t figure out how to make the livecd (which is plausible.)

I finally ordered it and now I'm a bit lost.

Can I ask you a few questions?

1. It seems that when I used the livecd and then turn off the laptop, none
of the prefs seem to save anywhere. Is this correct or normal?

2. I'm having major problems getting my wireless to accept on the system. I
had placed all the info in the correct places i.e. the wep key and name of
system, I had it on line 1 time with the wireless (after trying many many
different things) and now I can’t seem to get it back on.

3. Will I have to completely install it on the hard drive for all my prefs
to save?

4. As it is now, it looks like if I screw up too badly and can just turn it
off and reboot and its like a clean slate? GOD IM CROSSING MY FINGERS ON
THAT ONE.. LOL 5. If I do install it completely, it will just reformat the
HD and then it will be clean anyway? This would be good, I think. While
playing around I may have put in a password or something to do SOMETHING and
I cant remember what it was or why..

I guess right now the most pressing issue I have is the wireless issues. I
have only tried it at home, so I'm not sure if it will give the same
problems when im out at a café with free wireless. Waiting to see about that
until I learn the system a bit better.

As you can see, I'm not all that versed on the workings of computers.

I couldn’t even figure out how to do the support thing..

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Stan