[Ubuntu-US-CA] very new needs help.

Ted Clark ted.clark23 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 17:14:17 UTC 2007

In my experience, WEP is a bit crap with Gutsy. Works ok without encryption,
but what's the point of that? WAP is supposed to work better but I have some
network devices in my home that don't use WAP. Got so bad I had to move my
cable modem and router next to my computer and connect via wired. I don't
mean to scare you away from Ubuntu which is otherwise a great OS. But that's
just my opinion. YMMV. (WEP was fine with Feisty BTW)

The livecd loads in memory and will not save any settings. You can set it up
to install and dual boot Winderz and Ubuntu if'n you want.
Here's a great guide:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Best of luck and welcome to the family.

Ted

On Nov 29, 2007 11:38 AM, Stan <smpugh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>     HI Neal or team CA, I tried several times to download the unubtu and
> make the cd but (windows?) refused to accept it on the hard drive? Or I just
> couldn't figure out how to make the livecd (which is plausible.)
>
> I finally ordered it and now I'm a bit lost.
>
> Can I ask you a few questions?
>
> 1. It seems that when I used the livecd and then turn off the laptop, none
> of the prefs seem to save anywhere. Is this correct or normal?
>
> 2. I'm having major problems getting my wireless to accept on the system.
> I had placed all the info in the correct places i.e. the wep key and name
> of system, I had it on line 1 time with the wireless (after trying many many
> different things) and now I can't seem to get it back on.
>
> 3. Will I have to completely install it on the hard drive for all my prefs
> to save?
>
> 4. As it is now, it looks like if I screw up too badly and can just turn
> it off and reboot and its like a clean slate? GOD IM CROSSING MY FINGERS ON
> THAT ONE.. LOL 5. If I do install it completely, it will just reformat the
> HD and then it will be clean anyway? This would be good, I think. While
> playing around I may have put in a password or something to do SOMETHING and
> I cant remember what it was or why..
>
> I guess right now the most pressing issue I have is the wireless issues. I
> have only tried it at home, so I'm not sure if it will give the same
> problems when im out at a café with free wireless. Waiting to see about that
> until I learn the system a bit better.
>
> As you can see, I'm not all that versed on the workings of computers.
>
> I couldn't even figure out how to do the support thing..
>

> Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
>
> Stan

Registered Linux User # 385721
Registered Ubuntu User # 10544
Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon