[ubuntu-arizona] azloco weekly meeting 05/19/2013

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon May 20 04:28:30 UTC 2013

<toddc> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1<tuxmann> +1<Dazed_75> +1<toddc> +1<Rich_> +1<toddc> +<toddc> Team
wiki site https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam<toddc> Team Website is
http://azloco.org/<toddc> Team membership
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980<toddc> Feel free to
make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.<toddc> some of
us are in https://azlocobbb.banditti.com if you want to see us or talk
to Dazed_75 for the news!<Dazed_75> Use those secret NSA search tips
as shown in this NSA PDF book<Dazed_75>
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/05/nsa-manual-on-hacking-internet/<Dazed_75>
Go paperless: Stop printing everything<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/163015/go-paperless-stop-printing-everything-and-enjoy-the-digital-life/<Dazed_75>
Using Autokey scripts to automate your Linux desktop<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/using-autokey-scripts-to-automate-linux-desktop/2013/05/11<Dazed_75>
NOTE: the included script did not work on my system for several
reasons (all fixable).  First, awk and sed are located in /bin/, not
/usr/bin/ which may just be a distro or release difference.  Second,
line 21 uses 'lt' rather than '<' as a comparison operator and my awk
did not recognize that.  Third, after fixing th 'lt' to '<' I also
need to remove the ';' following the operator.<Dazed_75> HP 225 Laptop
lists Ubuntu as OS option<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/hp-225-laptop-with-ubuntu* skreeves
(~steve at 174-17-164-175.phnx.qwest.net) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<Dazed_75> Man from Microsoft runs the Ubuntu project
now<Dazed_75>
http://techrights.org/2013/05/15/ubuntu-and-microsoft-veteran/<toddc>
skreeves: welcome!!<Dazed_75> Configuring Gmail as a Sendmail email
relay<Dazed_75>
http://linuxconfig.org/configuring-gmail-as-sendmail-email-relay<skreeves>
Hi!<Dazed_75> Ubuntu One detailed guide for 13.04<Dazed_75>
http://linuxlibrary.org/ubuntu-onedetailed-guide-13-04/<Dazed_75>
Linux based robonaut 2 preps for active ISS duty<Dazed_75>
http://linuxgizmos.com/linux-based-robonaut-2-preps-for-active-iss-duty/<Dazed_75>
Linux Top 3: Google chooses Debian, Ubuntu Installer and GNOME's
Bugzilla<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxplanet.com/news/linux-top-3-google-chooses-debian-ubuntu-installer-and-gnomes-bugzilla.html<Dazed_75>
How mighty Mint became one of the most popular Linux distros<Dazed_75>
    http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-mighty-mint-became-one-of-the-most-popular-linux-distros-1146584#null<Dazed_75>
Mir in Kubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/05/mir-in-kubuntu/<Dazed_75>
Unity 8 gets demoed on Mir, Looks impressive already<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/unity-8-gets-demoed-on-mir-looks-impressive-already<Dazed_75>
Google Chrome Keyboard Shortcut & Cheatsheet download<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/google-chrome-keyboard-shortcut-cheatsheet-download/2013/05/15<Dazed_75>
Google Now inspired Conky theme for Linux desktop<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/google-now-themed-conky-for-ubuntu-desktop<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu Brainstorm to get the boot?<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/ubuntu-brainstorm-to-get-the-boot<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu billboard photo contest<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/ubuntu-announce-er-billboard-photo-taking-contest<Dazed_75>
Fix: Shadow displayed on top of Full-Screen videos/windows in
13.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/fix-shadow-displayed-on-top-of-full.html<Dazed_75>
12 awesome devices powered by Linux<Dazed_75>
http://mylinuxbook.com/awesome-devices-powered-by-linux/<Dazed_75>
Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" approaches with new tools<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3MzU<Dazed_75>
  http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/05/linux-mint-15-brings-prettier-desktop-new-software-and-driver-managers<Dazed_75>
50 million Apache OpenOffice downloads (80% to Windows) in a
year<Dazed_75>
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/50-million-Apache-OpenOffice-downloads-in-a-year-1864812.html<Dazed_75>
Critical Linux vulnerability imperils users even after "silent"
fix<Dazed_75>
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/05/critical-linux-vulnerability-imperils-users-even-after-silent-fix/<Dazed_75>
New IntelliJ-based Android Studio IDE now available<Dazed_75>
http://linuxgizmos.com/new-android-studio-ide-available-for-download/<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu still figuring out how to handle hybrid graphics<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3MjY<Dazed_75>
How to change attributes of a file in Linux using the chattr
command<Dazed_75>
http://www.nextstep4it.com/categories/unix-command/chattr/<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu looks toward MySQL alternatives<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3Mjc<Dazed_75>
Useful apps to aid parental control in Linux<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/parental-control-in-linux/2013/05/16<Dazed_75>
Linux: The Gold Standard of code<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Linux-The-Gold-Standard-of-Code-78051.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038244/linux-code-is-the-benchmark-of-quality-study-concludes.html<Dazed_75>
Raspberry Pi camera available for purchase<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/163419/raspberry-pi-camera-board-now-available-for-purchase/<Dazed_75>
Monitor network devices with SNMP (Simple Network Management
Protocol)<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/141135/it-geek-monitor-network-devices-with-snmp-simple-network-management-protocol/<Dazed_75>
What is the text in front of the command line called?<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/149272/what-is-the-text-in-front-of-the-command-line-called/<Dazed_75>
How to install Cinnamon 1.8 on Ubuntu 13.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-cinnamon-1-8-on-ubuntu-13-04.html<Dazed_75>
Google Devs install Ubuntu on Google Glass (to no apparent usefulness
apparently)<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/ubuntu-gets-installed-on-google-glass<Dazed_75>
Install Weather Indicator with new location and forecast fixes in
Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/install-weather-indicator-with-new.html<Dazed_75>
Desktop search tool "recoll" updated with significant
improvements<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/desktop-search-tool-recoll-updated-with.html<Dazed_75>
Get better Linux desktop performance and more with pf-kernel<Dazed_75>
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/get-better-linux-desktop-performance.html<Dazed_75>
Linux users have a choice: These 8 desktop environments and
more<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/<Dazed_75>
13.10 Stuff<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/unity-8-mir-to-be-available-to-try-in-ubuntu-13-10<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/chromium-to-replace-firefox-as-default-browser-in-ubuntu<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/what-to-expect-from-ubuntu-13-10<Dazed_75>
... and that would be all from my part of AJ.  Hopefully everyone
found something interesting in there<toddc> Thanks Dazed_75 great news
as always!!<toddc> I have a few more to add!!<toddc> Ubuntu vs. Mint:
Which Linux Distro Is Better for Beginners?<toddc>
http://lifehacker.com/5993297/ubuntu-vs-mint-which-linux-distro-is-better-for-beginners<toddc>
Dell Now Offering Ubuntu on Alienware X51 Machines<toddc>
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Alienware-X51-Ubuntu-GeForce-Core-i7,21935.html<toddc>
splunk live is coming to Phoenix June 18<toddc>
http://live.splunk.com/phoenix<toddc> TUCSON Ubuntu Hour<toddc> we are
pleased to announce that the Tucson Ubuntu hour is on and scheduled
for Saturday June 8 at 2pm at Bookmans in Tucson 1930 E. Grant at Rd 2
pm.<toddc> http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-arizona/2411-ubuntu-hour-tucson-az/<toddc>
but we are looking for a better location so check back<toddc> JOB
LIST<toddc> Network Engineer, Jr.<toddc>
https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit2/?id=2544021&t=2<toddc> Several
openings at Limelight Networks<toddc>
http://www.limelight.com/company/careers/<toddc> Senior Systems
Engineer<toddc>
http://www.telesphere.com/jobs2/job/54/senior-systems-engineer-at-telesphere/<toddc>
IT Administrator Needed<toddc>
http://topclassactions.theresumator.com/apply/LPsSjt/IT-Administrator.html<toddc>
Linux Systems Engineer<toddc>
http://employment.cwie.net/?page_id=24<toddc> Android App Pick of the
week<toddc> Gyft     Gift Cards on your phone<toddc>
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gyft.android<toddc>
no more losing them!!!! and they take Bitcoins<toddc> Linux App of the
week<toddc> Fianal Term a new terminal emulator—(Thanks
Thursday May 23 is the next Ubuntu Hour at Extreme Bean in Tempe
southern and McClintock<toddc> http://xtremebeancoffee.com<toddc> this
a 1-2 hour social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux and
open source. Stop by and say hi!!<toddc> TEMPE INSTALLFEST<toddc>
Azloco/plug installfest is Saturday Saturday June 1 and June 15 at UAT
2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Tempe across from Fry's Electronics 10AM to
4PM Room 208 48st and Baseline Rd enter from the rear of the front
building.<toddc> For more info see<toddc>  calender at
http://www.azloco.org/?q=node/28<toddc> If you have time or want to
meet any of us or have problems feel free to show up.<toddc> We will
also be streaming all events on http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/<toddc>
UBUNTU TRAINING<toddc> ubuntu on air<toddc> ubuntu development hang
out Tuesday and Thursday 9 PM GMT<toddc> Jono Bacon O&A Wednesday 7-8
pm GMT you can ask him why they do what they do!!<toddc>
http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/<toddc> FUTURE EVENTS<toddc> Any
thoughts on other events or projects???<toddc> FernHans if you are
here do you have any news for us?<toddc> PLUG EVENTS<toddc> Free
Software Stammtisch Tuesday May 21 at Iguana Macks 7:00PM 1371 N Alma
School Rd Chandler AZ 85224<toddc>
http://www.lufthans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley<toddc>
Plug East side meeting Thursday June 13  7-10 PM at Desert Breeze
Substation  251 North Desert Breeze Blvd, Chandler, AZ 85226<toddc>
that is all I have any questions or comments or other news or
ideas?<toddc> google glass runs on ubuntu with a hack--thanks
Archfan<toddc> tuxmann is building a G+ page chack it ont and give us
some feedback<toddc>
https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/111285361198176059670/111285361198176059670/posts<toddc>
Thanks for coming tonight. I will be here a while if anyone needs help
or has a question<toddc> short one tonight<toddc>
http://loco.ubuntu.com/teams/ubuntu-arizona/

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team