[ubuntu-arizona] azloco weekley meeting 06/02/2013

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Jun 3 05:31:17 UTC 2013

<toddc1> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1<tuxmann> +1<toddc1> +1<Dazed_75> +1<toddc1> +2?* smccarthy has quit
(Remote host closed the connection)<toddc1> Team wiki site
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam<toddc1> Team Website is
http://azloco.org/<toddc1> Team membership
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980<scott_ev> +1<toddc1>
Feel free to make comments and add input to our meeting at
anytime.<toddc1> some of us are in https://azlocobbb.banditti.com if
you want to see us or talk to us<toddc1> hi scott_ev<scott_ev>
allo<toddc1> Anybody here that is new tonight?<toddc1> lets start with
the news!!<toddc1> UBUNTU NEWS<toddc1> over to Dazed_75 for the
news!<Dazed_75> Customize LightDM [login screen] with Themes and
Backgrounds [Ubuntu]<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/customize-lightdm-themes/2013/05/25* [R]
has quit (Quit: Leaving)<Dazed_75> UEFI Secure Boot Issues and a video
series (note: 1st article links to the videos but 3rd link is
wrong)<Dazed_75>
http://techrights.org/2013/05/26/boot-support-debated/<Dazed_75>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAnlhkbMang<Dazed_75>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwlbf1VRJ60<Dazed_75>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEwj8bBBC4<Dazed_75> Set up Samba
Domain Controller with LDAP backend in Ubuntu 13.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.unixmen.com/setup-samba-domain-controller-with-openldap-backend-in-ubuntu-13-04/<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu 13.04 reviews<Dazed_75>
http://linuxlibrary.org/ubuntu-13-04-complete-unity-desktop-review/<Dazed_75>
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ringtail-high-end.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/05/a-failing-grade-for-ubuntu-1304-raring.html*
wmack (~wmack at ip98-165-94-214.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<Dazed_75> Development plans for Ubuntu 13.10<Dazed_75>
  http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Development-plans-for-Ubuntu-13-10-1866071.html<Dazed_75>
Enterprise Linux growth outpaces Windows<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2013/03/report-enterprise-linux-growth-outpaces-windows<toddc1>
hi wmack<Dazed_75> A breach of public trust: Proprietary Google+
Hangouts<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/05/a-breach-of-public-trust-proprietary.html<Dazed_75>
ADD swap space on Linux servers [only? not desktops?] on the fly
(CentOS/ RHEL / Fedora / Ubuntu)<Dazed_75>
http://www.nextstep4it.com/categories/how-to/swap-space/<Dazed_75>
LXLE - Lubuntu eXtra Life Extension - A remastered LTS release for
greater support of aging hardware<Dazed_75>
http://www.lxle.net/index.php?showimage=61<Dazed_75>
http://www.lxle.net/index.php?showimage=10<Dazed_75> Record desktop in
Linux using ffmpeg<Dazed_75>
http://xpressrazor.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/record-desktop-in-linux-using-ffmpeg/<Dazed_75>
A new X.Org-free Wayland LiveCD Released<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3ODY<Dazed_75>
Cirrus7 Nimbus Ubuntu PC Delayed - but finally gets priced<Dazed_75>
  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/ubuntu-nimbus-pc-delayed-design-detailed<Dazed_75>
Forget Chromebooks: Chrome OS is coming to Windows, Linux,
Macintosh<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/164257/forget-chromebooks-chrome-os-is-coming-to-windows/<Dazed_75>
Dear Linux, I'm leaving you -- for Windows 8<Dazed_75>
http://betanews.com/2013/05/28/dear-linux-im-leaving-you-for-windows-8/<Dazed_75>
Counting cards: Cribbage in BASH (part 1: making a deck, shuffling,
dealing a hand)<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/counting-cards-cribbage<Dazed_75>
Optimizing BASH scripts<Dazed_75>
http://www.linux.org/article/view/optimizing-bash-scripts<scott_ev>
Dear Linux, I'm leaving you -- for Windows 8  - WTF???<Dazed_75>
TuxOnIce - Revolutionize the way you start your Linux system<Dazed_75>
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/tuxonice-revolutionise-the-way-you-start-your-linux-system.html<Dazed_75>
Build a portable Android based Raspberry Pi Station<Dazed_75>
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce/Build-a-Portable-Android-based-Raspberry-Pi-Station<Dazed_75>
The funny side of the command line<Dazed_75>
http://www.unixmen.com/the-funny-side-of-linux-command-line-terminal/<Dazed_75>
Raspbery Pi's Raspian improves its performance<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM3OTc<Dazed_75>
and on a similar subject ... Wayland preview on Raspberry Pi<Dazed_75>
    http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4053<Dazed_75> Zorin OS 7:
This may be the Linux distro you're looking for<Dazed_75>
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039804/zorin-os-7-this-may-be-the-linux-distro-youre-looking-for.html<toddc1>
1 sec due techical issues<Dazed_75> Humor or Horror?: US Entertainment
Industry to Congress ...<Dazed_75>
http://boingboing.net/2013/05/26/us-entertainment-industry-to-c.html<Dazed_75>
KeePass 2 AppIndicator extension for Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/keepass-2-appindicator-extension-for.html<Dazed_75>
Tiny Tiny RSS Ubuntu PPA (Google Reader Alternative)<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/tiny-tiny-rss-ubuntu-ppa-google-reader.html<Dazed_75>
Sign up for Google's free online two week "Mapping with Google"
course<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/164487/sign-up-for-googles-free-online-two-week-mapping-with-google-course/<Dazed_75>
You'll want a PC with Intel's new chip for the battery life
alone<Dazed_75>
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9239573/You_ll_want_a_PC_with_Intel_s_new_chip_for_the_battery_life_alone<Dazed_75>
Linux Mint 15 -- The best Linux distro gets better<Dazed_75>
http://betanews.com/2013/05/30/linux-mint-15-the-best-linux-distro-gets-better/<Dazed_75>
    http://mindblowingidea.com/distrolist/2013/05/29/linux-mint-15-olivia-released-may-29th-2013/<Dazed_75>
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2366<Dazed_75> Find memory and CPU
utilization by a particular process/command in Linux<Dazed_75>
http://www.nextstep4it.com/categories/unix-command/memory-cpu/<Dazed_75>
A beginner's guide to installing Arch Linux<Dazed_75>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/A-Beginners-Guide-to-Installing-Arch-Linux-352365.shtml<Dazed_75>
How to install 3rd party apps in Arch Linux<Dazed_75>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Third-Party-Apps-in-Arch-Linux-356894.shtml<Dazed_75>
Windows 8 hardware has another problem for Linux (and its a
doozy)<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM4MDY<Dazed_75>
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/24869.html<Dazed_75> My favorite Linux
terminal emulators<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2013/05/my-favorite-linux-terminal-emulators.html<Dazed_75>
Mark Shuttleworth marks Bug #! (Microsoft has a majority marketshare)
fixed<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/mark-shuttleworth-marks-bug-1-fixed<Dazed_75>
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/30/ubuntus_shuttleworth_microsoft_no_longer_dominates_pc_biz/<Dazed_75>
    http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2013/05/30/mark-shuttleworth-closes-ubuntus-bug-no-1-microsofts-hold-computing-declining/<Dazed_75>
Official Intel Linux graphics installer available for Ubuntu
13.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/intel-linux-graphics-installer.html<Dazed_75>
How to install MDM 1.2.5 from Linux Mint 15 in Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/05/how-to-install-mdm-125-from-linux-mint.html<Dazed_75>
Angst and Anxiety over Ubuntu's chosen path<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Angst-and-Anxiety-Over-Ubuntus-Chosen-Path-78157.html<Dazed_75>
How to install Android in VirtualBox<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/164570/how-to-install-android-in-virtualbox/<Dazed_75>
Create a local repository on Ubuntu 13.04 Server<Dazed_75>
http://www.unixmen.com/create-a-local-repository-on-unbuntu-13-04-server/<Dazed_75>
NOTE: I find the two paragraphs following the editing of
/etc/apt/mirror list to be quite unclear as to specifics (the goal is
clear, the lines to edit and the specifics are not).  If anyone can
clear that up for me I would be grateful.  Larry aka
Dazed_75<Dazed_75> You want Ubuntu on your phone says this
UN-scientific poll<Dazed_75>
http://fossforce.com/2013/05/you-want-ubuntu-on-your-phone-says-poll/<Dazed_75>
How to easily create an encrypted directory in Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/create-encrypted-directory-in-ubuntu/2013/05/30<Dazed_75>
Surface Pro Owner? Here's how to install Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/05/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-surface-pro<Dazed_75>
    http://www.geek.com/microsoft/how-to-install-ubuntu-on-the-surface-pro-1539262/<Dazed_75>
... and that's it from AJ<toddc1> Thanks Dazed_75 great news as
always!!<toddc1> City of Munich: "Migration to sustainable desktop
completed successfully"<toddc1>
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/city-munich-migration-sustainable-desktop-completed-successfully<toddc1>
JOB LIST<toddc1> Senior Data Center Technician<toddc1>
http://concerts.livenation.com/careers/jobsearch.html<toddc1> Jr.
Network Engineer<toddc1>
http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/codero/jr-network-engineer/a2Cb7GXler4PGJiGakhP3Q?Board=CraigsList&PID=1215065<toddc1>
Several openings at Limelight Networks<toddc1>
http://www.limelight.com/company/careers/<toddc1> Current LifeLock
Opportunities Available:<toddc1>
https://www.lifelock.jobs/job-openings/<toddc1> Linux App of the
week<toddc1> SimpleScreenRecorder<toddc1>
http://www.maartenbaert.be/simplescreenrecorder/<toddc1> TUCSON Ubuntu
Hour<toddc1> June 8  11 at 2pm at Bookmans in Tucson 1930 E. Grant at
Rd 2 pm.<toddc1>
http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-arizona/2402-ubuntu-hour-tucson-az/<toddc1>
TEMPE INSTALLFEST<toddc1> Azloco/plug installfest is Saturday June 1
and Saturday June 15 at UAT 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Tempe across from
Fry's Electronics 10AM to 4PM Room 208 48st and Baseline Rd enter from
the rear of the front building.<toddc1> For more info see<toddc1>
calender at http://www.azloco.org/?q=node/28<toddc1> We will also be
streaming all events on http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/  but until we
get organized<toddc1> I will start as soon as possible after events
start but due to setup time I hope to find others to run it  as we get
bigger. This will let other's participate and be more active
state/world wide but will take time to develop and and get the word
out.<toddc1> If you have time or want to meet any of us or have
problems feel free to show up.<toddc1> UBUNTU HOUR Tempe<toddc1>
Thursday June 27 is the next Ubuntu Hour at Extreme Bean in Tempe
southern and McClintock<toddc1> http://xtremebeancoffee.com<toddc1>
this a 1-2 hour social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux
and open source. Stop by and say hi!!<toddc1> UBUNTU TRAINING<toddc1>
ubuntu on air<toddc1> ubuntu development hang out Tuesday and Thursday
9 PM GMT<toddc1> Jono Bacon O&A Wednesday 7-8 pm GMT<toddc1>
http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/<toddc1> FUTURE EVENTS<toddc1> Any
thoughts on other events or projects???<toddc1> xHans if you are here
do you have any news for us?<toddc1> PLUG EVENTS<toddc1> Plug East
side meeting Thursday June 13  7-10 PM at Desert Breeze Substation
251 North Desert Breeze Blvd, Chandler, AZ 85226<toddc1> Free Software
Stammtisch Tuesday June 18 at Iguana Macks 7:00PM 1371 N Alma School
Rd Chandler AZ 85224<toddc1>
http://www.lufthans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley<toddc1>
that is all I have any questions or comments or other news or
ideas?<toddc1> Thanks for coming tonight. I will be here a while if
anyone needs help or has a question

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team