[ubuntu-arizona] Azloco Weekley meeting 04/28/2013

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Apr 29 04:40:55 UTC 2013

<toddc> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1<tuxmann> +1<Dazed_75> +1<toddc> +1<Rich__> +1<pjdamws> +1<_ericcc>
+1<xorrito> +1<toddc> Team wiki site
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam<toddc> Team Website is
http://azloco.org/<toddc> Team membership
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980<toddc> Feel free to
make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.<toddc> some of
us are in https://azlocobbb.banditti.com if you want to see us or talk
to us<toddc> Anybody here that is new tonight?<toddc> lets start with
the news!!<toddc> UBUNTU NEWS<toddc> over to Dazed_75 for the news and
welcome back!<Dazed_75> All editions of Ubuntu 13.04 available for
download (list of direct download pages) - Updated<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/161741/all-editions-of-ubuntu-13.04-available-for-download-list-of-direct-download-pages/<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/ubuntu-siblings<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu 13.04 gives some, takes some and other reviews<Dazed_75>
http://betanews.com/2013/04/25/ubuntu-13-04-raring-ringtail-gives-some-takes-some/<Dazed_75>
    http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2013/04/25/ubuntu-13-04/<Dazed_75>
   http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-13-04-review-linux-for-the-average-joe-or-jane-7000014521/<Dazed_75>
    http://jaysonrowe.blogspot.com/2013/04/first-look-at-ubuntu-1304-and.html<Dazed_75>
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Edubuntu-13-04-Raring-Ringtail-Is-Now-<Dazed_75>
Available-for-Download-348446.shtml<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/should-i-upgrade-to-ubuntu-13-04<Dazed_75>
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/ubuntu-1304-available-for-download.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/see-whats-new-in-kubuntu-1304-raring.html<Dazed_75>
  http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/xubuntu-1304-available-for-download.html<Dazed_75>
    http://linuxlibrary.org/ubuntu-13-04-minor-unity-desktop/<Dazed_75>
        (note the following review seems to contradict most I have
seen in a few basic ways)<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Ubuntu-1304-Emerges-to-Less-Than-Stellar-Reviews-77894.html<Dazed_75>
Upgrading from 12.10 to 13.04 and from other releases<Dazed_75>
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade<Dazed_75>
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes* wmack
(~wmack at ip24-255-53-110.tc.ph.cox.net) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<Dazed_75> After installing/upgrading to 13.04<Dazed_75>
   http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/10-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-13-04<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/must-have-apps-for-a-new-ubuntu-install<Dazed_75>
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/7-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-install-unity-smart-scopes-in.html<Dazed_75>
Download Ubuntu Tweak 0.8.4, now compatible with 13.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/download-ubuntu-tweak-084-now.html<toddc>
hi wmack<Dazed_75> Ubuntu 13.10 codename announced: Saucy
Salamander<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/ubuntu-1310-codename-announced-saucy.html<Dazed_75>
How to select a battery backup for your computer<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/161479/how-to-select-a-battery-backup-for-your-computer/<Dazed_75>
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107854/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-measuring-your-energy-use/<Dazed_75>
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33776/powerchute-makes-managing-your-apc-ups-easier-during-power-outages/<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu Touch development builds are now Raring based<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/ubuntu-touch-development-builds-are-now-raring-based<Dazed_75>
Some command examples of how to use yum (an apt-get like utility for
some distros)<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2013/04/command-examples-how-to-use-yum.html<Dazed_75>
Where will your distro be in 5 years? (opinion piece)<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/04/where-will-your-linux-distro-be-in-five.html<Dazed_75>
Microsoft hit with complaint over Windows 8 UEFI Secure Boot<Dazed_75>
    http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/04/where-will-your-linux-distro-be-in-five.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-hit-with-competition-complaint-over-windows-8-uefi-secure-boot-7000013140/<Dazed_75>
Use you laptop as a wifi router under Linux<Dazed_75>
http://xpressrazor.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/use-your-laptop-as-a-wifi-router-under-linux/<Dazed_75>
How to upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 from 12.04. 12.10 for Desktop &
Server<Dazed_75>
http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-upgrade-from-ubuntu-1004-1010-1104-to-ubuntu-1110-oneiric-ocelot-desktop-a-server/<Dazed_75>
ASUS revives the netbook with sub-$300 model with an Ubuntu
option<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/asus-reignite-netbook<Dazed_75>
Disable Bluetooth during Bootup in Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/disable-bluetooth-during-bootup-in-ubuntu/2013/04/21<Dazed_75>
How to enable Two-Factor Authentication for SSH connection [on your
SSH server]<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/enable-two-factor-authentication-for-ssh/2013/04/22<Dazed_75>
The Linux Diversity collection<Dazed_75>
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2022890/the-linux-diversity-collection-one-kit-10-linux-distros.html<Dazed_75>
How to enable a Guest Access Point on your wireless router<Dazed_75>
  http://www.howtogeek.com/153827/how-to-enable-a-guest-access-point-on-your-wireless-network/<Dazed_75>
Six open source security myths debunked - and eight real challenges to
consider<Dazed_75>
http://www.zdnet.com/six-open-source-security-myths-debunked-and-eight-real-challenges-to-consider-7000014225/<Dazed_75>
Top things to do after installing 13.04 'Raring Ringtail'<Dazed_75>
 http://www.unixmen.com/042013-top-things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-13-04-raring-ringtail/<Dazed_75>
Add brightness control to Ubuntu desktop with this handy app<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/brightness-control-ubuntu<Dazed_75>
What is the difference between 127.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1?<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/149227/whats-the-difference-between-127.0.0.0-and-127.0.0.1/<Dazed_75>
Setting up ProFTPd + TLS on Ubuntu 12.10 for a secure FTP<Dazed_75>
 http://www.howtoforge.com/setting-up-proftpd-tls-on-ubuntu-12.10<Dazed_75>
The rise of 'Open Source': It's not just about software<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/04/the-rise-of-open-source-its-not-just.html<Dazed_75>
Is there an easier transition to Linux than PCLinuxOS?<Dazed_75>
http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/04/is-there-easier-transition-to-linux.html<Dazed_75>
Bodhi Linux Review - Enlightened Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/reviews/bodhi-linux-review-enlightened-ubuntu<Dazed_75>
Using Juju Charms to easily deploy services in Ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/using-juju-charms-to-easily-deploy-services-in-ubuntu/2013/04/24<Dazed_75>
Microsoft asks Ubuntu to remove the Skype icon from the
system<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/microsoft-ask-ubuntu-to-remove-skype-icon-from-system<Dazed_75>
Have Linux distros gotten too tubby?<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Have-Linux-Distros-Gotten-Too-Tubby-77885.html<Dazed_75>
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-center/linux-fatware-these-distros-need-slim-down-215757<Dazed_75>
How to manage background jobs<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxandlife.com/2013/04/how-to-manage-background-jobs.html<Dazed_75>
Improve power usage in Linux with TLP<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/improve-power-usage-in-linux-with-tlp/2013/04/27<Dazed_75>
... and that's it from AJ<toddc> Thanks Dazed_75 great news as
always!!<toddc> TEAM NEWS<toddc> since Ubuntu/Canonical will no longer
make cd/dvd for other than LTS to teams, we do need to decide if we
want to design and make them<toddc> with covers ect or drop them for
other than LTS versions<toddc> on the flip side everything is a
download anymore do the dvd'd we pass out ever get used? I am not sure
how to answer yet<toddc> JOB LIST<toddc> Current LifeLock
Opportunities Available:<tuxmann> I have a physical DVD that contains
a 32 & 64 bit version. If anyone wants to create an envelope for it,
that would be great!<toddc>
https://www.lifelock.jobs/job-openings/<toddc> Several openings at
Limelight Networks<toddc>
http://www.limelight.com/company/careers/<toddc> Resource Technical
Management<toddc> http://www.resource-technical.com<toddc> Android App
Pick of the week<toddc> Rom tool box for android (20 root apps in one)
  Thanks ArchFan89<ArchFan89> that's "ROM toolbox"* xHans
(~LuftHans at wsip-174-79-56-141.ph.ph.cox.net) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<toddc> TEMPE INSTALLFEST<toddc> Azloco/plug installfest
is Saturday May 4 and Saturday May 18 at UAT 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283
Tempe across from Fry's Electronics 10AM to 4PM Room 208 48st and
Baseline Rd enter from the rear of the front building.<toddc> Tagose
planning and development meeting on May 11 10 am-4 pm  2625 W Baseline
Rd 85283 Room 208 across the street from Fry's Electronics<toddc> For
more info see<toddc> AzloCo.com calender at
http://www.azloco.org/?q=node/28<toddc> We will also be streaming all
events on http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/  but until we get
organized<toddc> I will start as soon as possible after events start
but due to setup time I hope to find others to run it  as we get
bigger. This will let other's participate and be more active
state/world wide but will take time to develop and and get the word
out.<toddc> If you have time or want to meet any of us or have
problems feel free to show up.<toddc> UBUNTU HOUR<toddc> Thursday May
23 is the next Ubuntu Hour at Extreme Bean in Tempe southern and
McClintock<toddc> http://xtremebeancoffee.com<toddc> this a 1-2 hour
social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux and open
source. Stop by and say hi!!<toddc> UBUNTU TRAINING<toddc> ubuntu on
air<toddc> ubuntu deveopment hang out tuesday and Thursday 9 PM
GMT<toddc> Jono Bacon O&A wedsday 7-8 pm GMT<toddc> Juju Charm School
May 3 5pm-6pm GMT<toddc> http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/<toddc> Jono
Bacon O&A wedsday 7-8 pm GMT<toddc> tuxman do you want to talk about
the announce G+ yet?<tuxmann> toddc, I have created an event for
Google Plus.<tuxmann> I have invited about 40 people on there to come
next Saturday.* shubes has quit (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)<toddc> so
we all need to add announce at azloco.com to our G+ acounts<tuxmann> I'll
add that email to the event.<toddc> xHans if you are here do you have
any news for us?<xHans> a couple things<xHans> CentOS Dojo a week from
Friday in Scottsdale<xHans>
http://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/Phoenix2013<xHans> It's a
break-even event, so the registration fee goes directly to conference
cos<xHans> ts ( t-shirts, catering, etc )<xHans> Friday, 2013May10,
GoDaddy.com Studios, 14455 N Hayden Rd #219, Scottsdale, AZ
85260<xHans> Went to Percona Live last week. It was a great MySQL
community event<xHans> Learned a lot. Talked to good people, even
enjoyed talking to vendors.<xHans> Looking forward to next
year.<xHans> and that's it for this week<toddc> xHans Thanks for
keeping us up to date on phoenix linux user group events<xorrito>
toddc: you froce on BBB<toddc> that is all I have any questions or
comments or other news or ideas?<xorrito> I do have one
announcement!<xorrito> Ubuntu Hour in Tucson will be hosted every 2nd
Saturday of every month<xorrito> at Bookmans 1930 E Grant Rd<xHans>
people who like to stay up, we could reach out to all the people on
4th.<toddc> we will try to head down there for that<toddc> Thanks for
coming tonight. I will be here a while if anyone needs help or has a
question<wmack> Thanks toddc and Dazed_75 - good job as always

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team
toddc at azloco.com