[ubuntu-arizona] AZLoCo Meeting notes 05/05/12

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon May 7 04:42:37 UTC 2012

<toddc> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1<spinrage> +1<toddc> +1<Dazed_75> +1<toddc> Team web site
http://azloco.com/<toddc> Team wiki site
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam<toddc> Team membership
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980<toddc> Feel free to
make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.<toddc> Some of
us are in   http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/     tonight if you want to
talk or see us!<toddc> Anybody here that is new tonight?<toddc>
Anybody here that is new tonight?<toddc> We did have two new members
join this week<hobbet1> i have been here before a couple years
ago<toddc> I remember welcome back<toddc> hobbet1:  can you tell us a
bit about yourself ? for the other users?<hobbet1> well like i said i
used to come in a couple of years ago, i am now i am disable and i us
ubuntu as my main system<Dazed_75> What release are you
using?<hobbet1> 12.04<Dazed_75> Cool<toddc> cool we have grown a bit
and have a lot going on so welcome back<toddc> UBUNTU
NEWS<irssiadrenaline> +1<hobbet1> i thought i wasnt going to like it
because it seems more towards a tablet<Dazed_75> Do you lic=ve in the
Phoenix area?<hobbet1> yes on the westside, 43rd ave and mcdowell
area<Dazed_75> Yea, I thought that too but am kind of changing my
opinion<toddc> unity had some growing pains but most of them are fixed
as of 12.04<toddc> Dazed_75 will do the news tonight<hobbet1> i was
without a computer for about a year so i missed the growing pains of
unity lol<Dazed_75> Heh another voice for the West side.  PLUG needs
people over there<toddc> a good time to missout then :)<Dazed_75> 8
New Features in 12.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112409/8-new-features-in-ubuntu-12.04-precise-pangolin<Dazed_75>
More Things to do After Installing 12.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/add-enable-screensavers-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/<Dazed_75>
    http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/disable-screensaver-lock-in-ubuntu-12-04-precise-pangolin/<Dazed_75>
    http://a1.blogspot.com/2012/04/ubuntu-1204-explained-setting-up.html<Dazed_75>
How to Customize Ubuntu with Ubuntu Tweak<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112974/how-to-customize-ubuntu-with-ubuntu-tweak<Dazed_75>
The Best Free Text Editors for Windows and Linux (be sure to look at
the last one in the article)<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112385/the-best-free-text-editors-for-windows-and-linux<Dazed_75>
Unity Dash Lenses & Scopes<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112510/supercharge-ubuntus-unity-dash-with-lenses-scopes-5-lenses-to-install<Dazed_75>
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/how-to-add-a-wikipedia-lens-to-unity-for-faster-fact-finding/<Dazed_75>
Create Shortcuts to Run Programs as Root (11.04, 11.10, and probably
12.04)<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112700/create-shortcuts-on-the-desktop-to-run-programs-as-root-in-ubuntu-11.10<Dazed_75>
    http://www.howtogeek.com/106470/create-desktop-shortcuts-in-ubuntu-11.04-and-11.10/<Dazed_75>
Ubuntu Tablets & Smartphones Coming in 2013<Dazed_75>
http://www.zdnetasia.com/ubuntu-tablets-smartphones-coming-in-2013-62304640.htm<Dazed_75>
Raspberry Pi Gets a Prototyping Kit<Dazed_75>
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/raspberry-pi-gets-an-electronics-prototyping-plate-kit-20120427/<Dazed_75>
Revert to Dark Menus for Ambiance Theme in 12.04<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/04/how-to-revert-to-dark-menus-for-ambiance-theme-in-ubuntu-12-04/<Dazed_75>
Do You Need Those Very Expensive Cables at the Big Box
Stores?<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112636/htg-explains-do-you-really-need-expensive-cables<Dazed_75>
    http://monoprice.com/<Dazed_75> GIMP Magazine Coming<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?p=56091<Dazed_75> How to Find Files and
Folders Using the Command Line<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112674/how-to-find-files-and-folders-in-linux-using-the-command-line<Dazed_75>
What is a Solid State Drive and What Would I Need to Know<Dazed_75>
 http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/45359/htg-explains-whats-a-solid-state-drive-and-what-do-i-need-to-know/<Dazed_75>
Three Ways to Access Your Linux Files from Windows<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/112888/3-ways-to-access-your-linux-partitions-from-windows<Dazed_75>
Make Gnome Shell Your Own<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/113204/make-gnome-shell-your-own-10-gnome-shell-extensions-to-install<Dazed_75>
and that's it from my side<toddc> Thank you Dazed_75 for the news
tonight!<toddc> I have a couple more to add!<hobbet1> cool i love
omgubuntu<toddc> Try 'Precise Tweak' to Customize Ubuntu Linux
12.04<toddc> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/254700/try_precise_tweak_to_customize_ubuntu_linux_1204.html<toddc>
Skype replaces P2P supernodes with Linux boxes hosted by Microsoft
(updated)<toddc>
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft.ars<toddc>
GIMP 2.8 Released<toddc>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/05/gimp-2-8-released/<toddc> Microsoft
buy's Barnes and Noble's Nook<toddc>
http://money.cnn.com/2012/04/30/technology/microsoft-nook/index.htm<toddc>
TEAM NEWS<toddc> 12.04  cd's  have been ordered and should be here
around may 8th see Dazed_75 or myself to get some and get them passed
out in the wild<toddc> JOB LIST<toddc> Several openings at Limelight
Networks in Tempe see<toddc>
http://www.limelight.com/company/careers/<toddc> Security Analyst Team
Lead tempe<toddc>
https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit2/?id=1454371&t=1<toddc> NOC
Engineer III<toddc>
https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit2/?id=1333951&t=1<toddc>
Infrastructure Engineer III<toddc>
http://www.svb.com/careers/search/?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&rid=1164<toddc>
System Engineer<toddc> michaelmoore0091 at gmail.com<toddc> TEMPE
INSTALLFEST<xHans> Senior Systems Engineer at Limeilght in Tempe,
http://ur1.ca/90yl4<toddc> We will also be streaming all events on
http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/  but until we get organized<toddc> I
will start as soon as possible after events start but due to setup
time I hope to find others to run it  as we get bigger. This will let
other's participate and be more active state/world wide but will take
time to develop and and get the word out.<xHans> as toddc said,
several openings at Limelight, but I know that one's gettting action
:)<toddc> The last several installfests have been very busy so we are
also thinking about a room change in the future. The last several
events were at or near standing room only.<toddc> If you have time or
want to meet any of us or have problems feel free to show up.<toddc>
TEMPE SERVER INSTALLFEST<toddc> Tagose planning and development
meeting on May 12 10am-4 pm  2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208 across
the street from Fry's Electronics<toddc> Server Installfest will be
Saturday May 19 at UAT  10AM to 4M 2625 W Baseline Rd 85283 Room 208
across the street from Fry's Electronics<toddc> For more info
see<toddc> AzloCo.com calender at
http://www.azloco.com/?q=node/28<toddc> With any luck we might have a
Raspberry Pi to test<toddc> TEAM SERVER NEWS<toddc> the Test server
test.azloco.com has been fixed and upgraded to 12.04 thanks to
adrenaline and hope to be adding another server in the future. We are
installing drupal  on it to upgrade the web page<toddc> FUTURE
EVENTS<toddc> We have confirmed the date for the Ubuntu hour it will
be May 17 at 7:00 pm at Extreme Bean in Tempe. We will need some
flyers made any other Ideas?<toddc> ttps://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour<toddc>
http://xtremebeancoffee.com/loc.php<toddc> I got the first one started
now we need one out west or north Tucson Flaggstaff?* oda
(46be0396 at gateway/web/freenode/ip.70.190.3.150) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<toddc> we moved the trip to Prescott back one month so
slofgren could join us at the meeting<toddc> We are planning to attend
the LUGY meeting in Prescott on June 11 at 7pm<toddc> I am planning on
a carpool for those interested leaving at Az Mills Mall at 4PM<toddc>
I am allowing a bit of extra time to get there but if if you want to
go we could<toddc> leave a bit later if needed<toddc> that is all I
have any questions or comments or other news or ideas?<toddc> xHans if
you are here do you have any news for us?<hobbet1> sounds like you all
have a lot of projects going on<toddc> yes sir and we like it that
way! :)<xHans> PLUG east side this Thursday<xHans> Dazed_75 will be
covering Ubuntu 12.04<xHans> Free Software Stammtisch is a week from
Tuesday<xHans> http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley<xHans>
and that's it for this week<toddc> Thanks xHans for keeping us up to
date on Plug events<toddc> Some of us are in
http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/     tonight if you want to talk or see
us!<toddc> that is all I have any questions or comments or other news
or ideas?<toddc> Thanks for coming tonight. I will be here a while if
anyone needs help or has a question

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team