[ubuntu-arizona] AZloco meeting November 13 2011

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Nov 14 05:51:52 UTC 2011

<Siph0n> +1<Dazed_75> +1<toddc> Feel free to make comments and add
input to our meeting at anytime.<toddc> Anyone here new tonight please
introduce yourself  and tell us a little about yourself?<toddc> I will
also be in http://azlocobbb.banditti.com tonight if you want to talk
or see me.<toddc> Let's start with the news till everyone get's
here<toddc> Seven Changes to Watch for in Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise
Pangolin'<toddc>
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/243541/seven_changes_to_watch_for_in_ubuntu_1204_precise_pangolin.html<toddc>
Ubuntu Plans To Make It Easier To Hookup With Users<toddc>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTAxMDg<toddc>
Ubuntu Has a Google+ Page Now<toddc>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-Has-a-Google-Page-Now-233182.shtml<toddc>
A useful way to get more value from putting Ubuntu Live on a Flash
drive<toddc> http://www.howtogeek.com/97177/how-to-put-ubuntu-linux-on-a-usb-thumb-drive-without-the-mess<toddc>
Ubuntu: ALT TAB between browser windows?<toddc>
http://ocaoimh.ie/2011/11/04/ubuntu-alt-tab-between-browser-windows/<toddc>
Barnes & Noble asks DOJ to check Microsoft antitrust issues<toddc>
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/11/08/barnes.and.noble.says.microsoft.licenses.illegal/<toddc>
 Enabling Compiz Fusion On Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)<toddc>
http://www.howtoforge.com/enabling-compiz-fusion-on-ubuntu-11.10-oneiric-ocelot<toddc>
Fedora 16 is out but had poor reviews on the Linux action Show they
said it was more for server based use based on tools.<toddc> TEAM
NEWS<toddc> If you would like a azloco.com email address please
contact me at toddc at azloco.com<toddc> We would like to start several
Ubuntu hour events at coffee shop or bars for quick get
togethers<toddc> if anyone would like to find a spot on the west or
north please let us know?<toddc> We now have 11.10 cd's please hook up
with Dazed_75 or my self and pass out these and spread the word  of
Linux/open source and or installfests<toddc> JOB LIST<toddc> QA
Community Coordinator Required: Apply Within Canonical work from
home<toddc> https://tbe.taleo.net/NA3/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=CANONICAL&cws=1&rid=245<toddc>
IT Technician (Level II) /Tempe<toddc> www.kleinfelder.com and
reference Requisition # 6284<toddc> IT Systems Administrator
(Scottsdale, AZ)<toddc> ESCOJOBS at escocorp.com. POSITION TITLE &
LOCATION MUST BE INCLUDED IN THE SUBJECT LINE OF YOUR EMAIL FOR
CONSIDERATION.<toddc> TEAM SERVER NEWS<toddc> the test server is ready
to to go so if you want to test you skills or program please let us
know<toddc> see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam/Teams/Server for
more info<toddc> Current plans are to add BigBlue Button to azloco.com
also a link to the Ubuntu classroom Training Page as soon as Drupal is
updated.  So, if someone has time /skill please let me know<toddc>
TEMPE INSTALLFEST<toddc> Due to Thanksgiving and Christmas we have a
new schedule for November and December<toddc> There will be one
installfest on December 3 at UAT only<toddc> There will be one Server
installfest on November 19 at UAT<toddc> UBUNTU TRAINING<toddc> No
classes this week<toddc> FUTURE EVENTS<toddc> December 25th meeting is
canceled due to falling on Dec 25 Merry Xmas<toddc>  January 1st
meeting will also be canceled<toddc> xHans if you are here do you have
any news for us?<xHans> a few things<xHans> ABLEconf in person meeting
Tuesday at 18:00, Iguana Macks in Mesa<xHans>
http://www.ABLEconf.com/node/106<xHans> Free Software Stammtisch
Tuesday at 19:00, also Iguana Macks in Mesa<xHans>
http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley<xHans>
same night, same location for both<xHans> ABLEconf call for
participation is open<xHans>
http://www.ABLEconf.com/2012/Phoenix/CfP<xHans> SCaLE call for
proposals closes this Thursday<xHans>
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/cfp/cfp-information<xHans> you already
got the Installfest holiday schedule<xHans> and that's it from
me<toddc> Thanks xHans for keeping us up to date on Plug
events<slofgren> thats a lot of info gentlemen<xHans> toddc:
bitte<toddc> that is all I have any questions or comments or other
news or ideas?<Dazed_75> 6 Key Changes in Next Ubuntu (12.04 Precise
Pangolin)<Dazed_75>
http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/11/6-key-changes-in-next-ubuntu-1204_12.html<slofgren>
no more CDs :(<Dazed_75> Thats all from me too<toddc> Thanks Dazed_75
for all the hel;p and news items :)<slofgren> they are great for
trouble shooting PCs<Dazed_75> You need more Shane?<slofgren>
yeah<slofgren> handed out all I had<xHans> are x86_64 CDs still being
made?<toddc> I will try to get some there soon if not I will try to be
up there for the next meeting<slofgren> ok<toddc> I have severl
freinds that go back and forth<slofgren> cool<Dazed_75> We onlu get 32
bit apparently.  Can make the others tho<slofgren> 32 is fine<toddc>
starting with 12.04 all cd's will be 64bit<Dazed_75> xHans: need some
64 bit?<slofgren> hmm...personally still on a 32bit laptop<xHans>
Dazed_75: if we have them<toddc> but they may also be DVD too<xHans>
but, mostly I just need them for thumb drives, so it's just a matter
of reimaging from the isos I have :)<Dazed_75> We have to make them.
Let me know what you need<Dazed_75> aaah, okies<xHans> ah, well I can
burn the isos as well :)<slofgren> yeah<toddc> xHans needs a
mutisysten usb :0<xHans> toddc: yes, I do<Dazed_75> Me too.  I bought
a flash drive to make one but never get to it<xHans> but, Ubuntu is
now requiring 4.5 GB for installs :(<toddc>
http://liveusb.info/dotclear/<toddc> work's great and easy to remove
and replace<slofgren> getting pretty big<xHans> je ne parle pas
fran,cais :)<toddc> Ubuntu is still cd the 4.5 just has all the
language packs installed<toddc> 11.10 is 721.1mb<toddc> 12.04 will be
about 752mb ---ohh installed would be that yes<slofgren> if Ubuntu is
coming up on its first DVD size does that make Fedora coming up on 20
DVDS<toddc> fedora 16 is 729.8 (I just downloaded it ) but installed
not sure till I play with it<toddc> puppy linux is still 128 mb if you
want small! :)

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team