[ubuntu-arizona] November 6 AZLOCO meeting notes

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Nov 7 05:46:51 UTC 2011

toddcWelcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1toddc+1Dazed_75<irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>
+1toddcFeel free to make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.
toddcAnyone here new tonight please introduce yourself and tell us a little
about yourself?toddcI will also be in http://azlocobbb.banditti.com tonight
if you want to talk or see me.Dazed_75 <irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>Better
question is whether anyone beside we 2 are heretoddcWe have a lot of news
tonight so I will start there and wait for the late comers!toddcmight be
just ustoddcUbuntu 11.10: Xen vs. KVM vs. VirtualBoxtoddc
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1110_xenkvm&num=1
Dazed_75 <irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>Lets wait for anyone to show up
thentoddckkDazed_75 <irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>Any luck getting BBB to
work on 11.10 yet?xHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>moin mointoddcDazed_75:
My father -inlaw is back in the hospital so I may need you to cover next
week---no I have not had time to mess with
11.10Dazed_75<irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>:ile
I said I found it worked on Kubuntu 11.10 but have not gottem sound to work
toddchello xHans!Dazed_75 <irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>Hiya HanstoddcDue
to flooding in Thailand Harddrive are now rationed and prices are rising
fast.toddcCanonical: Biting Off More Than it Can Chew with Ubuntu?toddc
http://ostatic.com/blog/canonical-biting-off-more-than-it-can-chew-with-ubuntu
toddcMicrosoft has contributed code to Samba!? Is this a new leaf?toddc
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Samba-gets-Microsoft-code-contribution-1370610.html
toddcgpl eventoddcUbuntu developer Summit finished this week so I will
review this week and point out expected changes toddcfor 12.04 next week
toddcRasberry pi may go on sale this or next week 25$ pc
http://www.raspberrypi.org/ watch for the site toddcGedit Dash Plugin
Releasedtoddc http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/gedit-dash-plugin-released/
toddcUnity and Power Users (Opinions)toddc
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/shuttleworth-linux-power-users-arent-too-cool-for-unity.html
toddc
http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/10/shuttleworth-misses-point-yet-again.html
toddcPreliminary Unity User Test Resultstoddc
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/user-testing-of-unity-reveals-some-surprising-results/
toddcWhere Native Application Development Stands: An interesting
perspective on why Unity is not really the issue.toddc
http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/220185/where-native-linux-app-development-stands
toddcExpected Changes in Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolintoddc
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/expected-changes-in-ubuntu-1204-precise.html
toddc
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/banshee-tomboy-and-mono-dropped-from-ubuntu-12-04-cd/
toddc
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/multi-monitor-support-to-improve-in-ubuntu-12-04-video/
toddc http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/ubuntu-12-04-disc-size-to-be-750mb/
toddcLeading PC Makers Confirm: no Windows 8 plot to lock out Linuxtoddc
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/leading-pc-makers-confirm-no-windows-8-plot-to-lock-out-linux/4185?tag=nl.e539
toddcMint 12 Will Come with Gnome 3.2 and Mint Gnome Shell Extensionstoddc
http://www.linuxnov.com/linux-mint-12-will-come-with-gnome-3-and-mgse/toddc
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/linux-mint-12-to-use-gnome-shell-by.htmltoddcSome
Handy uses for the find commandtoddc
http://technonstop.com/fun-with-unix-linux-find-commandtoddcBanshee Adds
DVD Playbacktoddc
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/banshee-adds-dvd-playback/toddcFedora to
simplify filesystem hierarchytoddc
http://www.itworld.com/it-managementstrategy/218847/fedora-simplify-filesystem-hierarchy
toddcPost-Installation Script "Fedora Utils" Updated for Fedora 16. What a
Great Idea, We've had 3rd parties do this for Ubuntu, But the could be an
official one included on the published media.toddc
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/fedora-post-installation-script-fedora.html
toddcFor Web Site Developerstoddc
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/test-websites-in-internet-explorer-9-8.html
toddcThanks Dazed_75 for most of the great news tonight!!!!!toddcJOB LIST
toddcAffinity Technology is hiring a Network Engineer/Administrator.toddc
jobs at atechaz.comDazed_75 <irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>and that last was
testing against IE from within LinuxtoddcImpressive results I read part of
it a while agotoddcSystems Administrator at Pitch Black Gamestoddc
job-cch9y-2672319594 at craigslist.orgtoddcLinux System Administratortoddc
staffing at inmotionhosting.comtoddchttp://test.azloco.comtoddcTEMPE
INSTALLFEST toddcDue to Thanksgiving and Christmas we have a new schedule
for November and December toddcThere will be one installfest on December 3
at UAT onlytoddcThere will be one Server installfest on November 19 at UAT
toddcxHans would you like to take the floor?xHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
surexHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>Thursday is PLUG east
sidexHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
http://plug.phoenix.az.us/calendar/icalrepeat.detail/2011/11/10/15/-/plug-east-meeting.html
xHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>Dazed_75: you said you'd do a
presentation on 11.10?Dazed_75
<irc://freenode/Dazed_75,isnick>YepxHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>would
you send a description to Brian for the web site and
announcements?xHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>Free
Software Stammtisch is a week from TuesdayxHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
http://www.LuftHans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley<http://www.lufthans.com/Free_Software_Stammtisch#East_Valley>
xHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>TEDxPhoenix is this
FridayxHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
http://www.tedxphoenix.com/xHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>ABLEconf call
for participation is openxHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
http://www.ableconf.com/2012/Phoenix/CfPxHans
<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>SCaLE
CfP closing in 11 daysxHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
https://www.socallinuxexpo.org/cfp/cfp-informationxHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>soldering
and arduino workshop at Heatsync Labs over Thanksgiving
weekendxHans<irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>
http://www.heatsynclabs.org/arduino-for-total-newbies-with-mitch-altman/
xHans <irc://freenode/xHans,isnick>and that's it from me this weektoddcthanks
for the News from Plug eventstoddcI will heading to Prescott LUGY for there
meeting on Tue November 8 Please contact me if Interested in going.toddcthat
is all I have any questions or comments or other news or ideas?toddcthanks
for coming tonight but I will be here a while if anyone needs help or has a
question

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team