[ubuntu-arizona] Ubuntu-Arizona Weekly Newsletter, Issue #71
Craig A. Eddy
tyche at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 21:44:02 GMT 2008
Welcome to the Ubuntu-Arizona Weekly Newsletter, Issue #71 for the
week November 2, November 9.
* Arizona Loco Newsletter
* Seventieth Edition
* Powered by Ubuntu
* Wednesday-November 12, 2008
* Arizona Loco Team Wiki: ["ArizonaTeam"]
* Next meeting: Sunday November 16, 2008 9:00PM
* Server: Freenode: IRC Channel #ubuntu-arizona
== Newsletter ==
=== Summary of the November 9, 2008 meeting ===
johnc4510 called the meeting to order at 9:00 PM
johnc4510 began the meeting with the introduction of new members.
Mauricio Martinez is from Chihuahua, Mexico, and has been in Phoenix for
about 4 months. He is an IT professional, and has been using Ubuntu for
about 6 months. urugTON has had his degree in CS from 1970. He has
worked on mainframes, PCs, servers, networks - currently he manages a
Disaster Recovery site. mauricio and urugTON were welcomed into the team.
johnc4510 then made some announcements:
* Even though Ubuntu just release Intrepid, Jaunty jack the next
version is now open for development. So a new cycle starts.
* There is a new app out there called "Ultamatix". It's the successor
to "Automatix". It's dangerous to use and it should be avoided. The
script uses a lot of root commands and FORCE flags, and can leave your
system dead or vulnerable. So please avoid this app.
* Last wk we discussed my problems installing Intrepid. I'm happy to
report that I have installed it on both boxes now. I finally got the
alt cd to work on the desktop box. For the laptop I had to do a net
upgrade, but it was flawless.
* This week I received our ShipIt order of bulk cds from Ubuntu. This
time instead of 400, we got 350. The difference was we didn't get any
64bit desktop cds.
johnc4510 then asked xHans to make his announcements:
* PLUG east side this Thursday. It looks like I will be covering
Intrepid for our meeting this Thursday. If someone else wants to
volunteer, please let me know. In any case, please point people at the
meeting where we'll go over Intrepid. http://plug.phoenix.az.us/
* The Hackfest was moved to this Saturday at Estrella Mountain
Community College. Still noon to 15:00ish, but a week late and on the
other side of town.
* The OpenOffice.org class is running again in January. It's an online
class and I'm pretty certain it's the same price for Pima county
residents. We need to make sure the OOo class gets filled again. Our
Free Software classes at MCC are doing really well, but we need to keep
filling them, especially new classes like OOo and especially non-OS
classes like OOo, so let's fill it.
* Now that the election is over, we will soon be opening work on the
next ABLEconf. Please join the discuss list if you want to
we'll run in late March. See also http://www.ABLEconf.com.
* The Stammtische are in a week and a half:
johnc4510 then moved on to the Install Fest. He has emailed his
contacts, but gotten no response. He re-emailed them and hope to have
an answer Monday or Tuesday. He is suggesting December 7 from 2:00 pm
to 5:00 pm. He promised to get the information to tyche as soon as it
comes in. tyche responded that as soon as he gets it he will make the
changes to the flier and post it on the Forum. He is interested in
having a game server running, and is working with azteech on getting a
demo going. tyche brought up the question of getting the ShipIt CDs up
to the Phoenix area. johnc4510 suggested mailing them, and tyche
offered to split the cost of the mailing.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:40 PM.
== Credits ==
* Craig A Eddy
* John Crawford
More information about the Ubuntu-us-az