[LoCo-US-AL] Please help; I am totally confused with this LINUX O.S.

Michael Ramm michael at 1manit.net
Tue Jun 3 17:54:41 BST 2008

Scurver,

I have added you to the Ubuntu LoCo map. It looks like that there are 2
folks in the mobile area (PharmD24 and BrooksofSheffield). You can try to
send them a Private Message via the forums, and I think that they may
subscribe to the mailing list also.

There is a South Alabama Linux Users Group that is based out of Mobile. They
have an email address at nullpointer at salug.org. You might send them an email
explaining your situation and see if someone might be willing to visit your
home.

It is very hard for us to try to diagnose your problem from so far away.
Computer troubleshooting is so hands on that it is difficult to understand
what you are trying and the output that you are getting.

But we will continue to help in any way possible.

Michael

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Leon Johnston <johnston88 at bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>      *I am reading the manuals, the forum lists, and everything I can get
> my hands on, but all I can get is nothing! I think that there is so **much
> ** info available that I am just swamped by it all. I'm coming from XP Pro
> and that, of course, is part of my problem; I am 75 years old and that is
> another part of my problem. But I have used computers for years and a long
> time back used UNIX with the mainframes. I have a sick wife (Alzheimers) who
> is constantly interrupting my computer work, so that further complicates my
> problems.*
>
>      *I am running on a Dell platform with my LINUX O.S. installed
> alongside the XP O.S. I had little problems loading LINUX on the Dell
> platform. But I cannot upgrade anything for some reason or the other; the
> upgrade manager just will not work and I get an error message that says to
> to explain how I may do that and this is the major problem I am having with
> LINUX. My Dell has over 3 Gigs of RAM and I have three hard drives with
> hundreds of megabytes of memory available on them. I have one of these hard
> drives dedicated to LINUX. This system seems to be perfect for LINUX, yet I
> am absolutely stonewalled regarding how to do things. The up-grade manager
> will not work and again the error message says to report this; well, fine,
> but HOW? And, in addition, I cannot send e-mail; I receive it okay, but
> cannot send the stuff........*
>
>      *I accessed the map UBUNTU map thingy, but cannot place my own
> location on the thing and there are no instructions on how to do this. The
> map I got indicated a person over in Mobile, which might be a good contact
> for me to get help with all of this, but how in the world do I do this? Over
> in Mobile is the LALUG (Lower Alabama LINUX Users Group) that meets
> regularly, but because of my wife's condition I am unable to get to those so
> far. *
>
>             *Perhaps this gives you an idea of the extent of my problems,
> I hope so. I've got to get some help soon, or give this up and I reckon move
> to the APPLE system. I cannot return to the Microsoft programs. I really
> like LINUX, but have found that learning this is far more complex than I
> assumed. I need someone to talk me out of the problems I currently have,
> someone whom I may contact over the phone or internet who can explain what I
> am doing wrong and guide me in the correct direction.*
>

> *Thanks for listening,*
>

> *scurver*

Ubuntu AlabamaTeam LoCo
Forums @ http://alabama.ubuntuforums.org/