[ubuntu-uk] Surprising Wi-Fi Problem Cure

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:25:00 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 13:16, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:

> To cut a long story short Ctrl + Alt + F1 took me instantly out of the GUI to a command line login prompt. After logging in I ran "startx" to fire up the GUI and that took me to the "first use" screen you get when installing Xfce - no task bar, menu or anything else pre-defined. Fearing I may have royally screwed up my user interface I did a hard shutdown with the power button and then rebooted. Up came the GUI exactly as I am used to seeing it, with wi-fi working fine and no dropouts since.
>
> I've found nothing in either the Xubuntu or Acer documentation about this particular key combination but it's worked wonders. May just be worth others bearing in mind in case of wi-fi or, possibly, other driver issues.

Are you a novice to Linux?

I can only say you did not Google hard enough.

E.g.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/157617/reverting-from-ctrl-alt-f1

Which I got from "Linux ctr alt f1"

This is a standard feature of all Linux distros with GUIs and has been
for 25 years.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 to F6 takes you to virtual consoles -- the text login
screen you see before the graphical desktop loads.

No you can't load the desktop, because it is already loaded and still running.

To get back to the desktop, press Ctrl-Alt-F7.