[ubuntu-uk] ppa problem

Jim Price d1version at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:07:16 UTC 2018

Unfortunately uninstalling it just gave errors, maybe because the PPA
wasn't available in the same Ubuntu version as it was prior to the
upgrade. Anyway, after somewhat more playing around I figured out that
after the upgrade I had removed the PPA without taking a note of it, so
that could also be why the removal wouldn't work properly. The problem
then was how to find which PPA I had used so I could put it back in and
remove things. It turns out that it is a bit non-trivial without knowing
which PPA, but this gives you a list of where things were installed from:
apt-cache policy vlc
 From the output of that I managed to find the right PPA, added it and
reloaded, then did a re-install of vlc followed by a ppa-purge. It still
needed a reboot for things to settle down but it does now let me install
vlc. Yay!

Lesson learned - don't just delete PPAs which have been disabled by a
dist-upgrade.

Thanks to everyone else for suggestions, I'm just replying to the first
reply not ignoring you all.

JimP