[ubuntu-uk] How do I kill jbd2?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 21:44:23 UTC 2018

On 01/02/18 21:17, Colin Law wrote:
> On 1 February 2018 at 20:58, Mark Lawrence
> <breamoreboy at gmail.com
> <mailto:breamoreboy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Yes that's right, kill it, before my laptop, myself or both go out
>     of the window.  Why, my disk has been clattering away for the last 4
>     hours and it's getting right up my nose?  My annoyance is mostly due
>     to moving away from Windows so that the anti-virus wasn't constantly
>     hammering my disk, instead jbd2 has taken over.  I could understand
>     it if I thought it had something to do, but it's beyond my extremely
>     limited knowledge of ubuntu.  Worse is that it will go hours or even
>     days without a peep. What gives?
>
> Is there anything noteworthy in /var/log/syslog when this happens?  Also
> worth telling us which release of Ubuntu you are using, and which
> flavour if it is not the basic one.
>
> Colin

Nothing has been written to /var/log/syslog for the last five minutes,
and I can see gaps between write times of up 10 ten minutes.  Ubuntu 17.10.

The disk is still clattering, that's getting towards five hours.  I
don't understand why an OS should be hammering a disk that's got 95%
free space when I've plenty of spare ram.  I've also read umpteen
reports on this type of issue going back to at least 2011, so it's
hardly a new issue, and something that I've have thought somebody would
have a solution to.

Worse still I can't go back to Windows as it has refused to perform an
update since the end of November, with my latest attempts always failing
with the downloads stuck at 97% :(

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence