[ubuntu-uk] Xubuntu Display Settings

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 07:10:03 UTC 2017

On 14 July 2017 at 00:05, Nigel Verity <nigelverity at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> I've been doing a bit of distro hopping recently and have returned to my
> Linux "first love" - Xubuntu. Xfce has improved considerably since I
> abandoned it 3 or 4 years ago for MATE. It was always capable of looking
> really good, but the default theme settings used on Xubuntu and most other
> distros used to be pretty uninspiring.
>

> Everything works brilliantly, but I have one minor issue which I can't
> fathom out. I have installed Xubuntu on a laptop. If it is running on
> battery power and I then plug the mains adaptor in to top the battery up the
> "Display Settings" dialog appears - not one instance, sometimes 5 or 6.
>

> I could understand this if I were plugging a monitor in, but I am simply
> applying mains power.

Do you see anything useful in /var/log/syslog when you plug it in?
If, in a terminal, your run
tail -f /var/log/syslog
then it will show the end of syslog and wait for new stuff to be
written there. Then plug in the mains and see what happens in the
terminal.  If necessary you can copy/paste the extra stuff here (use
Ctrl+Shift+C to copy marked text from the terminal).

Colin