[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu - Entroware contact?

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 12 12:49:35 UTC 2016

Whilst I fully understand why a PC, pre-installed with a Linux distro, is no cheaper than one with Windows I do question what is gained by paying a significant premium. A Linux enthusiast will presumably be both prepared and able to install a distro on any piece of kit that can run it, the newbie will probably start with a PC he/she already owns, and the non-techie is unlikely to be interested to the extent of paying over the odds.

I've never been able to persuade any non-Linux user to install Ubuntu or any other distro on a brand new machine. However, I've have a fair bit of success with people owning older PCs, those infested with malware and people who are simply sick of Windows. I believe they will all stay with Linux when they replace their kit, but will probably ask me to do the installation rather than pay extra for a pre-configured PC.

>From my experience, encouraging people to use free software is relatively easy. I know plenty who have gone over to LibreOffice, GIMP etc, but on Windows. Cost (absence of) is the principle motivation. When it comes to the operating system itself, the cost of Windows on a new machine doesn't really feature - lots of people assume it is free of charge anyway. They will pay extra for a Mac because it is somehow perceived to be better - the triumph of hype and marketing. This leaves Linux in a sort of limbo. If a computer that comes with Linux pre-installed is not cheaper than a Windows PC, then it's hard to see any other incentive.

Nige