[ubuntu-uk] Choice of OS in work

Gareth France gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 20:38:20 UTC 2016

On 29/03/16 21:32, Liam Proven wrote:
> On 18 March 2016 at 22:49, Gareth France <gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk> wrote:
>> I haven't yet been in the job long enough to figure out the reasoning behind
>> this software labyrinth.
>
> There isn't one.
>
> The sad fact is that most people in C21 IT are incompetent. They don't
> understand systems in any real depth, not throughout -- modern systems
> are so baroquely complex that almost no-one can. So there are rituals,
> done without understanding, and a superstition that enough levels of
> firewalling and virtualisation and encryption, if built from recent
> code, especially *expensive* recent code, magically combine to make it
> secure.
>
> It's nonsense and totally untrue, but alas, such systems hold the
> world together now.

The systems I work on are designed to interface with other software
built by other companies to support their products. They mimic the
product and trick the software into believing it is being used as
intended. As a result half of the issues are out of the companies
control. It's all a bit of a mess but in flux so a lot of it is due to
change in the future.