[ubuntu-uk] Choice of OS in work

Gareth France gareth.france at cliftonts.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 21:49:41 UTC 2016

On 18/03/16 21:45, Daniel Llewellyn wrote:
> The Government likes people to do that: they supply a really old laptop
> with an ancient version of Windows* that you use to connect to a remote
> desktop and from that remote desktop you connect to another remote
> desktop which is actually inside the firewall and for us where we run
> Linux systems inside their firewall we then use SSH from that second
> remote desktop to get to the systems we support for them. It's nuts.
>
> * The laptop they provide cannot be connected directly to the internet
> and thus cannot run Windows Update.​
>
> --
> Daniel Llewellyn

I haven't yet been in the job long enough to figure out the reasoning
behind this software labyrinth. I may find some logic behind it. The
remote machines access dedicated hardware and run simulations of
hardware which link to them. Many people in the business need to access
that same simulation/hardware so perhaps this is the only way.