[ubuntu-uk] 64 vs 32bit Applications

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 1 10:33:11 UTC 2016

Hi

I don't have a technical issue but I'd welcome a bit of enlightenment.....

I've recently gone over to 64bit Ubuntu versions on all my boxes and this raised a question. Does every binary object in the repositories have to be compiled twice - once for 32 and again for 64bit architectures - or can 32bit compilations run on a 64bit host?

If they are separate versions is there a likelihood that some particularly obscure packages will fall by the wayside simply through being considered not worth compiling for 64bit? Perhaps there is a formal policy on this.

Thanks

Nige