[ubuntu-uk] Partitioning

Daniel Llewellyn diddledan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 22:49:58 UTC 2016

On 8 February 2016 at 22:32, David Goldsbrough <daveg at boavon.plus.com>
wrote:

> $ sudo parted -l
>
> Model: ATA TOSHIBA MK1255GS (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number  Start   End    Size   Type      File system  Flags
>  1      1049kB  256MB  255MB  primary   ext2         boot
>  2      257MB   120GB  120GB  extended
>  5      258MB   120GB  120GB  logical                lvm
>

> Model:  Mass Storage Device (scsi)
> Disk /dev/sdb: 60.0GB
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
> Partition Table: msdos
>
> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system  Flags
>  1      1049kB  256MB   255MB   primary   ext2         boot
>  2      257MB   60.0GB  59.8GB  extended
>  5      257MB   60.0GB  59.8GB  logical                lvm

OK, from the above read-out it looks like fdisk changed the start position
of your partition when you recreated it. We have two options as to how to
proceed:

   1. As you have your old LVM disk hooked-up you can reblow the data
   across to the new larger partition and then run the pvresize, lvextend and
   resize2fs again thereafter. To reblow the data use `dd if=/dev/sdb5
   of=/dev/sda5 bs=1m`.
   2. Alternatively you can try to recreate the lvm partition again with a
   start of 257M instead of the fdisk-chosen default 258M (it chose 258
   because that's "aligned" better for your SSD; but being 1MB further into
   the disk means that the lvm metadata is dangling unaddressable at 257MB)
   and as above rerun the pvresize, lvextend and resize2fs again.

--
Regards,
    The Honeymonster Daniel Llewellyn